Image Map Image Map

Thread: which screen resolutions are most accurite to real life?

Default which screen resolutions are most accurite to real life?

Anyone know which screen resolutions stretch the image horizontally and vertically to be the most accurate to real life photos of people and real would objects? If you notice, not all pixel resolutions are mathematically multiplied or divisible by each other, such as 1400x1050.

Screen resolutions list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displa...Standards8.svg

1400x1050 is a square pixel 4x3 format. (Do the math, the common denominator is 350.)

Non-square pixel resolutions are pretty rare on display hardware anymore, so if you're displaying square pixel input from sources like most digital still cameras there is no reason there should be any distortion as long as you don't insist on stretching and warping a picture with one aspect ratio to entirely fill the screen of a different ratio. (Modern computer displays do come in a vast variety of aspect ratios, with 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 about the most common but plenty of other shapes available, like 3:2, 2:1, 5:4...

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    1400x1050 is a square pixel 4x3 format. (Do the math, the common denominator is 350.)

Non-square pixel resolutions are pretty rare on display hardware anymore, so if you're displaying square pixel input from sources like most digital still cameras there is no reason there should be any distortion as long as you don't insist on stretching and warping a picture with one aspect ratio to entirely fill the screen of a different ratio. (Modern computer displays do come in a vast variety of aspect ratios, with 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 about the most common but plenty of other shapes available, like 3:2, 2:1, 5:4...
    3:2, 2:1, 5:4 are less common, 1280x1024 does stretch the image vertically a bit. The correct 4:3 ratio equivalent is 1280x960... So as long as I don't use the less common aspect ratios then i'll be good for doing photo work or etc? I notice the HD resolutions like 720p and 1080p are designed for 16:9, so why all the hype for 16:10 monitors? I believe they will distort these HD resolutions.
    Last edited by computerdude92; June 8th, 2019 at 05:47 PM.

16:10 monitors will allow you to view 16:9 content and still have screen space for other things (navigation/edit controls, subtitles, etc.) without having to overlay them on top of the content. You will only get distortion if you stretch/scale 16:9 content to fill the 16:10 space.