Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

Blog Entries

I like the HX because it reminds me on an Amiga 500, and the 1000A because of the dual 360K floppies. Those two are just decent CGA era systems plus they play Tandy games.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I like the HX because it reminds me on an Amiga 500, and the 1000A because of the dual 360K floppies. Those two are just decent CGA era systems plus they play Tandy games.
    I really like HX except for the keyboard. Just can't get past the layout and the uncomfortable, narrow keys. Admittedly, I'm OCD about keyboards and I mostly program on my old computers, so it's a user-specific issue. If HX had the TL keyboard, I'd have one set up right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by polbit View Post
    That's actually an interesting question - what are the actual differences? As far as I could find, TL/2 is year newer, has different board layout, and the 3 ISA plus the 8-bit IDE port. Is there any other difference?
    The TL is an 8086 while the TL/2 and TL/3 are 80286. Somewhat major difference IMO.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The TL is an 8086 while the TL/2 and TL/3 are 80286. Somewhat major difference IMO.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the SL? All the T(x) 1000's are 286s.

The SL and SL/2 are 8086s running at 8 MHz. The TL and TL/2 are 286s running at 8 MHz and the TL/3 is a 286 running at 10 MHz.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

These docs are a great resource for details specific to the 1000 series:

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/...-_Volume_1.pdf
    http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/...-_Volume_2.pdf

These docs are the most up to date and have details on the 1000 and nearly everything else Radio Shack sold:

https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...s_Nov_1991.pdf
    https://github.com/pski/model2archiv..._1993_Text.pdf
    https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...93_Figures.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by polbit View Post
    I really like HX except for the keyboard. Just can't get past the layout and the uncomfortable, narrow keys. Admittedly, I'm OCD about keyboards and I mostly program on my old computers, so it's a user-specific issue. If HX had the TL keyboard, I'd have one set up right now.
    I love the EX! When I was a kid they were going for for $100 at a blowout tent sale and it seemed like nearly everybody in the area ended up with one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    The SL and SL/2 are 8086s running at 8 MHz. The TL and TL/2 are 286s running at 8 MHz and the TL/3 is a 286 running at 10 MHz.
    I stand corrected! In that case, I revise my earlier advice to "any TL/2 would be best".
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Got my TL/2 + CM-11 today, and it's MINT, has 3.5 and 5.25 drives, and a 20Mb hardcard. Very happy, also building a 16' desk in my retro cave to set up 3 systems. Will have everything set up this weekend, can't wait!