Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

Default Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

I'm really interested in playing more with the Tandy graphics and sound. I had a 1000HX before, but the all-in-one and keyboard layout drove me nuts. What is considered to be the best model for that era? I'm looking at TL/2 or TL/3, as they have a bit more power with 80286 and the 640x200x16 mode and DAC, but would RL be a better choice? Are there any issues with one or the other? Would appreciate any feedback, as they are not cheap, at least from what I can find...

I miss the 1000 TX I had back in the day and would probably rather have one than a TL, but the only reason for that would be I'm actually strangely fond of the proprietary Tandy 2000-sourced keyboard layout used on the early models, compatibility warts and all. Objectively it's a worse computer than the TLs by most measures.

The TL-no-slash might actually be better than the TL/2 if you're planning to put something like an XT-IDE in it because it has five slots while the /2 and /3 have a mostly useless XT-IDE interface and four slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I miss the 1000 TX I had back in the day and would probably rather have one than a TL, but the only reason for that would be I'm actually strangely fond of the proprietary Tandy 2000-sourced keyboard layout used on the early models, compatibility warts and all. Objectively it's a worse computer than the TLs by most measures.

The TL-no-slash might actually be better than the TL/2 if you're planning to put something like an XT-IDE in it because it has five slots while the /2 and /3 have a mostly useless XT-IDE interface and four slots.
    Keyboards are definitely a very personal thing for me, and the layout/quality dictate how I like and use the machine.

Good point about the TL with 5 slots, but I'm not really planning on adding any other cards, besides XT-IDE for HD. The one nice advantage as far as I can understand is that TL/2 and TL/3 have a built-in clock, while TL needs the Smartwatch, which is impossible to find with a working battery. My only other addition would be the 128Kb for Video RAM.

Blog Entries

The "best" system is the TL/3, being the fastest system with Tandy graphics, and supporting both Tandy 3-voice audio as well as DAC audio. However, they're difficult to find and expensive.

The next step up would be either the TL/2 or the TX, as they have an 8MHz 80286 which is enough power to offset slinging around 2x the video memory compared to CGA games (16-color modes are 32K, CGA is 16K). The TX is usually easier/cheaper to find.

I'm not generally a fan of the 8088/8086-based Tandy systems for playing Tandy graphics games, because 16-color video modes use 2x the RAM of CGA, and so you generally need a 2x faster CPU just to "break even" in terms of action/3d games. I'm also not the biggest fan of the later VGA-based Tandys, because if you're going to play VGA games, you might as well go full hog and build up a 386+VGA+sound blaster that is easier to maintain and cheaper.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

RSX is worth mentioning as (I believe) it is the last and fastest machine with Tandy sound. It does have VGA. But it's in a proprietary case that screams TRS.

I can see Trixter's point though. Playing Sierra classics on my Tandy 4000 with VGA + GUS + MT32 isn't as enjoyable as on my HX with TGA/tsound. Though the later will only run AGI games. No shot at SCI.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I'm currently on a Tandy programming kick, so anything VGA is out for me. Trying to create a period-correct setup.

I think TL/2 makes most sense then, although if I see a TL/3 at a decent price, I'll jump on it. Already have a mint CM-11, so it's a start. In the meantime, time to dig into 80286 assembly, have never used one before.

A lot of people consider the composite output important for Tandy graphics, and I tend to agree.

I think the TX is your best bet in that case, but that is missing the DAC as I recall, so it's a tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    A lot of people consider the composite output important for Tandy graphics, and I tend to agree.
    Really? Why?

I don't think I've ever seen a Tandy setup with a color TV. On the other hand, I lost count 30 years ago of how many CM-5 and CM-11 monitors I've seen sitting atop a Tandy 1K machine.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Personally I prefer the TL over the TL/2.

They are nearly identical but Tandy replaced a ISA slot in the TL/2 with a "Smart Drive" interface which is pretty useless today. So the TL/2 has 4 ISA slots vs the 5 on the TL.

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    Personally I prefer the TL over the TL/2.

They are nearly identical but Tandy replaced a ISA slot in the TL/2 with a "Smart Drive" interface which is pretty useless today. So the TL/2 has 4 ISA slots vs the 5 on the TL.
    That's actually an interesting question - what are the actual differences? As far as I could find, TL/2 is year newer, has different board layout, and the 3 ISA plus the 8-bit IDE port. Is there any other difference?