Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Really? Why?

I don't think I've ever seen a Tandy setup with a color TV. On the other hand, I lost count 30 years ago of how many CM-5 and CM-11 monitors I've seen sitting atop a Tandy 1K machine.
    I shouldn't have said important for Tandy graphics, to be honest.

From my perspective it's a feature I've used more often than the Tandy DAC, and if I had to pick a single 1000 system to live with forever it'd be a TX (or HX) almost certainly.

Although to be honest, I'm not even sure if it's that useful without a big old tube TV/monitor anymore.

Also, I generally consider the Tandy DAC a hindrance more than an asset. I'm sure someone interested in programming and playing with Tandy audio and video will get some use out of it, but all it does is complicate adding a CMS-enabled Soundblaster for me.

Also, isn't there a speed issue with the TL and the DAC? Something that was fixed in TL/2 and later, audio recorded too fast or something?

The composite video output on the older 1000s isn't too useful, because with CGA games that use artifacting to generate extra colors, all of those colors will be wrong compared to IBM's CGA, and there is no way to adjust it. Also it defaults to 80-column text with the color burst turned on, even when you select monochrome mode during startup, resulting in illegible text on a TV or color composite monitor.

As for the DAC, although it's nice to have and many later games support it, it can't be used at the same time as the joystick ports. In fact, the whole origin of the DAC feature was when Tandy was consolidating the sound, printer, and joystick functions into one chip, and the engineer working on it realized that with minimal extra components, he could turn the analog joystick input into an analog audio input. Then add the equivalent of a Covox Speech Thing, and presto, you have an audio output, too.

TL/2 all the way, just got one, for too much money...

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Also, isn't there a speed issue with the TL and the DAC? Something that was fixed in TL/2 and later, audio recorded too fast or something?
    The PSSJ in the TL / SL is speed dependent so if for instance you record something on the TL and play it back on the SL its too slow, the other way around and it's too fast. The PSSJ in the TL/2, SL/2 and beyond is double buffered so this isn't an issue.

IMHO the real drawback of the PSSJ Tandy's is the dropped/hanging note bug and the only way around that is to use a TX or earlier (SN76496) but you lose the Tandy Video II modes....

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    IMHO the real drawback of the PSSJ Tandy's is the dropped/hanging note bug...
    The very first note of King's Quest II will fail to sound on a a PSSJ-bearing system due to a very specific set of circumstances. Is this what you're referring to, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    The very first note of King's Quest II will fail to sound on a a PSSJ-bearing system due to a very specific set of circumstances. Is this what you're referring to, or something else?
    Yes, doesn't it occur anytime a request is sent to the MUX requesting it to output sound on the RCA jacks in the earlier SN76496 equipped Tandy's? IIRC this same request causes the PSSJ to reset and audio is lost or notes hang.

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    Yes, doesn't it occur anytime a request is sent to the MUX requesting it to output sound on the RCA jacks in the earlier SN76496 equipped Tandy's? IIRC this same request causes the PSSJ to reset and audio is lost or notes hang.
    You must be referring to the comment I made on Great Hierophant's blog. I haven't experienced hanging notes, but yes, where King's Quest II begins PSG playback right after issuing the command to enable the external audio output, the first musical note at the title screen isn't heard on a PSSJ-based system. It's an isolated problem though; certainly not one worth avoiding the PSSJ for, especially considering its enhancements and benefits.

Speaking of which, here's a hitherto unknown fun-fact that I'm planning to cover in a separate thread: the serial rate of the PSSJ can be set to a MIDI-compatible 31250 bps in select systems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    ...in select systems.
    Now that's really useful.

Mike

The applicable systems are the RL, RLX, SL, SL/2, TL, TL/2, and TL/3. I've only validated against the RL thus far.

If you already have a MIDI module that supports "RS232C-2" connectivity, it's something of a moot feature though, as you can just run the PSSJ serial at the requisite 38400 bps, and attach any additional synthesizers to the parent device as part of a regular MIDI chain. Otherwise, and for just a few bucks in parts to construct an appropriate adapter, the aforementioned Tandy models essentially provide a standard UART MIDI out port (requiring tweaked software drivers to support as such).