Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy1000TL View Post
    it will have by the end a VGA card, 2MB EMS, Sound Blaster Pro 2, Roland MPU card
    Then what was the point about "for Tandy Graphics and Sound"? If you want to add all of that to it, there are way better/faster/cheaper/easier 286 and 386 generic systems you can expand to your heart's content and not have to deal with working around Tandy limitations.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then what was the point about "for Tandy Graphics and Sound"?
    In the post prior to the last it looks like the OP got a TL/2 and was pleased with it as-is.

FWIW/just to note, of course: if you do upgrade a TL with 768k with a VGA card it doesn't have 768k anymore, or at least it's not using more than 640k. That extra 128k's sole purpose in a TL is to keep the video chip from stealing RAM from below the belt to use for the video buffer. If you have internal video disabled to work with a VGA card then it effectively does nothing. It doesn't magically reappear as a UMB or anything, at least to my knowledge.

Blog Entries

Apologies; I was confusing the post I replied to with the original poster. Thanks for the correction.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    That extra 128k's sole purpose in a TL is to keep the video chip from stealing RAM from below the belt to use for the video buffer.
    This is a popular misconception. The video chipset is physically connected to 128K of "dedicated" memory at all times, the unused portion of which gets mapped into the conventional memory space for system use. Expanding an applicable system to 768K essentially "gives back" the video memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    This is a popular misconception.
    I actually know how it works from reading the service manual for the TX recently, so... yes, it is technically true that what happens when you put the extra RAM in to those machines is the "Big Blue" moves up above the 640k mark and takes the RAM that's slaved to it with it, no longer mapping any of it into user space, but it's splitting a pretty fine hair to say that "That extra 128k's sole purpose in a TL is to keep the video chip from stealing RAM from below the belt to use for the video buffer" isn't a correct description of the effective role of that extra RAM. However you describe it 128k of the 768k of RAM physically installed in a TX or TL "goes away" and is no longer used for anything if you add video card. (I suppose the later sentence in my description implies it's the "extra" memory, IE, the stuff that goes in the optional sockets, that goes away, but I really just intended to say that 128k "generally" goes away. To be 100% accurate, yes, it's the "video slaved" RAM that goes away.)

If you have a Tandy that has no RAM *but* the memory slaved to Big Blue, like the original 1K and the unexpanded EX/HX then the question of whether it's video stealing from user memory or user memory stealing from video basically becomes a Zen query about the sound of one hand clapping. It's both. Or neither.

... actually, that does raise a question. If you have a TL without the extra 128k expansion and you put a VGA card in it, does the video chip still reserve 16k at boot for a video buffer that it's never going to use, or does disabling the video output free up that last chunk? I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; June 24th, 2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy1000TL View Post
    I went with the Tandy 1000TL. While you may not think about upgrading it now, like I didn't at the start, it is possibly the most expandable. I am about to do some front work to it though it will have by the end a VGA card, 2MB EMS, Sound Blaster Pro 2, Roland MPU card, XT-IDE plus CF adapter, 3.5" drive, Gotek emulator (all three drives will be in the front - Gotek, cf and 3.5"). All while sporting a 286 processor, 768K standard ram, and the built-in DAC that can work as Covox Speech Thing as well (not in the older models and the SB would need to be removed). All up, extremely flexible and expandable, plus I like the look of it.
    Upgrading it like that is fun, but for me the sole purpose of getting the TL/2 was to have fun with Tandy Graphics and Sound. I already have a nice Dell OptiPlex 466/LE setup with local bus SVGA, SB, etc. that comes out once in a while, Tandy is for pure retro assembler programming and playing some old Sierra games. Only thing I'm adding is the XT-IDE for CF card (and a quieter fan to the PSU!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    ... actually, that does raise a question. If you have a TL without the extra 128k expansion and you put a VGA card in it, does the video chip still reserve 16k at boot for a video buffer that it's never going to use...
    No, there's no reservation in that scenario. It's a similar situation with the SL, which can't be expanded to 768K - install a VGA card, and a full 640K is available for system use.