Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which version of MS-DOS has the most software written for it?

1. Default Which version of MS-DOS has the most software written for it?

Hi,
    Which version of MS-DOS has the most software written for it?
    Thanks

Uh... the last one, because the vast majority of earlier DOS software is still compatible?

I've run programs written for DOS 1.x and even SCP 86-DOS natively under Windows 9x's "DOS 7.1".

1) MS-DOS 5.0 (80386 CPU or higher)
    2) MS-DOS 2.0~2.1x (8086/8088 CPU)
    3) MS-DOS 3.0~3.3x (80286 CPU)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Uh... the last one, because the vast majority of earlier DOS software is still compatible?
    ^^ this.... most of the time.

DOS changed a lot of internals from 3.x to 4.x then reverted a significant of number of those changes from 4.x to 5.x. I have a hole of seething hatred in my heart for DOS 4.x that still burns to this day. I consider MS-DOS 4.x - "MS-DOS-like".

-A
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

MS-DOS 3.3 has probably the largest pool of applications needing it as the earliest version. The improvements to country/code page support caused a lot of software to be revised for it, at least if sold outside the US. Add to that the sheer size of the DOS market leading to the introduction of new software.

Both MS-DOS 3.3 and MS-DOS 5 are important versions for application compatibility.

3.30 - dominant for many years, due to problems with 4.0x
    5.0 - also very popular for a long time, due to problems with 6.0
    6.20/6.22 - last versions of stand-alone MS-DOS (DOSes other than MS-DOS were less common), by their time major applications were already released primarily for Windows, but games were still mostly for DOS

Blog Entries

I think the dividing line would be 8-bit/16-bit.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'm not aware of any software written specifically for a particular DOS version. The minimal DOS version requirement for a huge amount of software (including Windows 3.x - WfW requires 3.3, though) was 3.10 and, almost everything, works fine with version 3.3. Even DR DOS poses as 3.31 so you can consider that the Maximal common divisor of DOS.

Isn't this what SETVER was for? To take care of programs that will freak out if it sees 5 or 6.22?