Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help with Apricot Pc keyboard

Default Help with Apricot Pc keyboard

My Apricot pc that has been working nicely just started having a keyboard problem that stops the computer booting all the way to the Dos prompt when the keyboard is connected. Even if i disconnect the keys to eliminate any stuck keys etc it still will not boot all the way. It has a HD6301V1C19P controlller inside the keyboard that is one of these that has a small area of memory inside which holds firmware for the Apricot. I am not sure i can get another one of these but I read online that the mame emulator people may has dumped the firmware during development of the Apricot pc emulation. That could be useful if my controller is damaged and providing I can find another Hd6301V1C19P controller.

Blog Entries

They're a keytronic keyboard design that relies on foam that sits between a capacitive pad and the key. Often the foam disintegrates with age which can cause the pad to sit partially on the keyboard on make weird things happen.
    I think this is much more likely to be the issue than the controller IC.

The pads are under the keys, so I'd dismantle it until you have a bare PCB - and try booting with that - if it works you can type by pressing your fingers directly on the PCB contact points.

(My assumption is you've lifted the keys, but not actually stripped it right down so the pads / foam pieces are out).
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Thanks for the reply. I 'm sorry I should have said this Apricot pc has had a full restoration and i fid recently change my home made foam pads for the ones on Ebay. I mi recovered the little plastic discs from the old keys and for the capacitive pads i found one side of a anti static computer bag worked and cut out lots of discs from it.
    The trouble started when I eas using my home made version and thats why i decided to get the proper pads which are only the foam and nothing else so I would have been better with the ones i made myself.