Image Map Image Map

Thread: Bell Packard Legend 20CD storage issues

Default Bell Packard Legend 20CD storage issues

I am experimenting with a packard bell legend 20CD. The computer was gifted to me and was in seemingly working condition. Comes with 486DX2, 640k base ram, 19k extended, 874.4mb hard disk, and 3 1/2in floppy. The original hard drive looked to be dead, as expected considering the computer was manufactured in 1993. I attempted to boot to the drive, and the system attempted to autotype the drive, which failed. I tried to manually type it, which also failed. I then switches to another method. I used a SATA to IDE converter with a 160gb hard drive, and it would not type the drive. Considering the size, I knew manually typing it would be impossible. I now wonder if the HDD controller is broken, or if the 2 drives I tried are not good options. Side note, sometimes the POST screen would say that the floppy drive type is incorrect- run setup, even though I know it is 1.44mb
    Is this an issue with the HDD controller? The hard disks I chose to use? Is the floppy drive functioning properly?

(TL;DR My floppy drive is intermittently showing errors and not reading floppies , system fails autotyping/ recognition of drive)

Does it have a translating BIOS? If not you're likely limited to drives of 504 MB or less.

Try something smaller.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Does it have a translating BIOS? If not you're likely limited to drives of 504 MB or less.

Try something smaller.
    Thank You, that fixed my hard drive issue. Now I have to deal with the floppy drive. It’s supposed to be 3 1/2” 1.44M but the bios says “Incorrect drive A type- run setup” no matter what 3 1/2 setting I put it on. I tested 2 floppy drives and the newer gives out that error no matter what, and the older one (I don’t know which way the ide cable is supposed to be, so I tried it both ways) the 1st orientation says Incorrect drive a type for all settings, 2nd orientation progresses the boot further and spins the floppy drive but then says “Disk error press any key to restart”. I am trying to install msdos 6.0, over which I will install windows 3.11.

That fixed my hard drive issue but now my floppy drive is acting up. It is set to 1.44M 3 1/2”, and I inserted my msdos 6.0 floppy (which I am installing win3.11 over later). It gets past the first initialization screen, but then says “disk error, press any key to restart, and when I press a key it reads the disk again and puts out the same error. I formatted and wrote to the floppies in windows 10.

That solved my issue with the hard drive, thank you. Now My floppy drive now only shows “Disk Error, press any key to restart “ when I insert my msdos 6.0 floppy #1. Same thing if I insert Win3.11 floppy #1.

Oh and if I insert the Win3.11 disk it says “remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart”

I'm not sure Win 10 can reliably write DOS disks. It can be hit or miss. Try a computer that is running DOS or try a computer with 95, XP or something older on it. At least format the disks on a DOS machine.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

I formatted the disks using a windows 98 VM as I don’t have any physical win98 machines. It now reports “Invalid system disk, replace disk and press any key to restart.” It’s disk no.1 of msdos 6.0, and if I take the disk out it reports “operating system not found”.

Quote Originally Posted by MinedSpy4 View Post
    I formatted the disks using a windows 98 VM as I don’t have any physical win98 machines. It now reports “Invalid system disk, replace disk and press any key to restart.” It’s disk no.1 of msdos 6.0, and if I take the disk out it reports “operating system not found”.
    That shows that the BIOS was definitely able to read the first sector and execute it correctly. Can you try formatting the disk in Windows 98 with system files (i.e. make it bootable using MS-DOS 7.1)? What happens if you do?

Quote Originally Posted by MinedSpy4 View Post
    Oh and if I insert the Win3.11 disk it says “remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart”
    Windows 3.x disks are not bootable (as MS/PC-DOS disks 1's are). You need to have a version of DOS installed before installing Windows 3.x or below.