Image Map Image Map
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blog photo links

Blog Entries

Default Blog photo links

I posted a series on cloning PALs some years ago, before the move to vcfed.org.

Well, you moved my blog, but all of the photo and attachment links are no-function. I suppose I could go through the blog entries and re-link everything, but what assurance do I have that the links will work, say 5 years from now? I really don't want to waste time reworking these things every time the VCF software is updated.

Can I refer to my attachments symbolically, rather than with absolute numeric file links? Do you have an automatic way to fix up the links?

Sorry Chuck. We do a reasonable job of keeping things running. My original posts from 16+ years ago are still available, which is amazing considering we've had several forum upgrades and at least one server move. We will do our best and fix things as they are pointed out to us, but asking for a guarantee for something years into the future seems like quite a stretch and actually is kind of offensive.

Moving past that - Do you have a direct link to the specific blogs that are broken?

Blog Entries

Start with this one.

Note the the blog is in 13 parts and the links to each part 404.

I laboriously went through my blog on modifying the IBM 4869, Part 2 but it was a real job with not so many links.

The links to other parts of the blogs can be fixed with a simple re-write rule. (Which are never actually simple, but close enough - it is a string replacement.) Those were broken by the host name change.

The missing attachments are not obvious to me. When you fixed some of your blog entries, did you upload new attachments? It looks like the attachments are missing from the new site.

Old attachments to posts are fine - here is an example from 2009: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...052#post104052

This is probably blog specific. You have over 200 attachments in the database.

Blog Entries

I went through the 13-part blog on cloning PALs, as I've received a number of emails asking about missing bits.

It took about two hours to fix things--the most puzzling was the missing attachments to the blog entries. They were still in my attachment database, but the move had completely stripped them from the blog posts. Links between various parts of the blog had to be redone, but the puzzling thing was that they weren't redone automatically, simply replacing the http://vintage-computer.com... with http://vcfed.org...

Oh well, it's done--I've redone the one on rewiring the IBM 4869 external drive box (I still have a few, folks) earlier.

Thanks, Chuck; am downloading it just in case it disappears completely next time.

Hope you didn't offend Mike too much...

+ Reply to Thread