Image Map Image Map

Thread: Some ISA tracks "broken"

Default Some ISA tracks "broken"

Hi, I'm looking for some quick confirmation about this.

I have a motherboard which has some tracks that go from one ISA slot to the next one damaged. I looks like all the four ISA slots are connected in parallel pin by pin, but I can not be completely sure as some of the tracks are hidden under some IC's. I saw some PCB schematics of ISA risers and they all are in parallel but I wanted someone else's opinon to confirm that before bypassing the supposedly unconnected pins.

Thanks in advance.

The ISA bus is a parallel bus. Most, if not all of the pins will be connected to the corresponding pin on the other connectors.

Like dkarguth said, ISA is a parallel drop bus. If you have broken traces under connectors or ICs, you can remove them to repair the damage.

You can use bodge wires, but I don't recommend for various reasons, namely accidentally connecting something to something else that it wasn't intended to and cause damage to the board. And the fact the damaged trace could be shorting to something else or have a varying resistance path to something else that causes erratic behavior.

On the motherboard of an IBM 5160 (IBM XT), expansion slot 8 is wired differently to the other slots.

Blog Entries

If the board would be junk if you didn't repair the problem successfully, I'd just go ahead and bodge-wire the ISA connectors. Worst case, you'll do it wrong and let the magic smoke out of the board--which would leave you where you started.