Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tool to slowdown?

Default Tool to slowdown?

Hello, is there a software tool which can slowdown an XT a little bit? For example if a game runs to fast on a 8/10 MHz 8086/V30 machine?

There is SLOWDOWN.COM written by Charles Petzold in 1988. It was written for the AT but it could be good for a 'fast' XT as well. It's small, simple and works. Give it a try to see if you like it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Xr...page&q&f=false

I have the compiled .COM file if you want it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have the compiled .COM file if you want it.
    Yes, please.

PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

What machine is it? Most of those faster XT clones had built-in ways for slowing them down, for the sake of compatibility. If not a turbo button, then a key combination.

Petzold's SLOWDOWN won't work with every game/program (as he notes in the article), and when it does, I suspect that the method he uses will result in a rather "choppy" type of slowdown.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Thanks, I will try it. It's Olivetti M24/M24SP/M240, they don't have a built in throttle.

Let us know how you make out.

FWIW...an old thread....

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=44

NB...Your mileage may vary...

Slowdown.com works by toggling IRQ8, which services the real time clock. The interrupt and the real time clock are part of the AT architecture, which also supports a 286 at a minimum. The OP is using an Olivetti M24 SP or M240, which uses a 10MHz 8086 and something closer to the XT architecture. Although the Olivetti does support a real time clock, I do not believe it supports the upper IRQs, so slowdown should do nothing with it.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Yes, just tested, you are right, slowdown.com has no effect.