Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth, bah!

Blog Entries

Default Bluetooth, bah!

Some may be familiar with my struggles with bluetooth dongles on my Linux system. I use BT to connect with headphones, so it's one-way.

So I found a workaround (just use a cheap BT transmitter module connected to the audo-out jack. Always works, no special drivers).

But as time goes on, I'm less enamored of the technology. My wife likes to listen to the TV using a BT link and said idiot box is not far from my upstairs PC. So sometimes her heaphones pair with my computer's BT, or the TV BT pairs with my headphones. If I'm using the headphones and go out of range, when BT reconnects, it's a crap shoot as to where it's connecting.

Feh. I picked up an inexpensive FM transmitter made for using external devices in a car and a pair of FM receiver headphones. Fidelity is excellent and there's no conflict with other devices. In fact, I could have multiple systems using the FM transmitters and select among them by simply tuning my receiver.

Sometimes low-tech is better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Sometimes low-tech is better.
    I have this conversation with people at work all the freaking time. Just because there is a high tech solution does not mean it's as good as the low tech one.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

It continually boggles me that people still try to use Bluetooth for things. It's never worked satisfactorily, from the very beginning to the present day. If modern consumers weren't so fetishistically obsessed with wirelessness, it would rightfully have died in a fire fifteen years ago.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

There's wireless and there's wireless.

I've got a Bose Wave Music System IV and it came with an offer for a free Echo. The FM reception of the Bose was what FM is in general. But when the Echo arrived and I hooked it up to the WiFi it was the last time I ever used the FM receiver on the Bose. The radio stations via their FM transmissions paled in comparison to the WiFi quality of those same stations. Both are wireless. But not all wireless is the same.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    It continually boggles me that people still try to use Bluetooth for things. It's never worked satisfactorily, from the very beginning to the present day. If modern consumers weren't so fetishistically obsessed with wirelessness, it would rightfully have died in a fire fifteen years ago.
    Bluetooth works for me. I have a Sirius Xm account in my wife's car and also have the app on our cell phones. For about $19, I purchased a small speaker which works with our phones via BT and is perfect when working out and around the property or just sitting on the patio. You get about 10 hours from the speaker and then you'll need a few hours of USB charging. The cell phones BT connection also work without problems in both of our vehicles. Sorry to hear that you've had so many problems.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

OTA FM broadcast does a lot of interesting stuff to the audio Detail here

On the other hand, my household radio is still FM, but I use a transmitter connected to an Orange Pi which is (wire) connected to the Internet. So I listen to FM radio, but from internet sources, so no compression, etc. involved.

Every few days or so Bluetooth audio screws up on the macOS laptop I use for work, but I don't know how much is Bluetooth (the hardware)'s fault verses general terrible-ness in the software stack. I used to reboot when that happened, but I figured out I could kill -9 the associated daemons, let them respawn, and reconnect my headset. Totally fixed until the next time it happens. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    OTA FM broadcast does a lot of interesting stuff to the audio Detail here

On the other hand, my household radio is still FM, but I use a transmitter connected to an Orange Pi which is (wire) connected to the Internet. So I listen to FM radio, but from internet sources, so no compression, etc. involved.
    Blame the Loudness Wars, not the broadcasters.
    Like the paper said "Garbage In, Garbage Out"

" I listen to FM radio, but from internet sources, so no compression"

You're listening to PCM at full bandwidth, lossless compression, or MP3?

It depends entirely on where in the audio chain that Internet stream is coming off of if there has been audio processing applied to it.

Blog Entries

I try to get FLAC streams when possible. MP3 is pretty much awful, but better than nothing. I still rely a great deal on my CD collection.

I prefer music machines of the old technology

But as of yet don't have any at home

Blasted vbulletin won't let me YouTube today. .
    Be polite and I may let you live.