Image Map Image Map

Thread: Thinning the herd, Need HELP

Default Thinning the herd, Need HELP

I've finally moved in to my new place and I think it is well past the time when I should be thinning the herd. I'll be keeping a few of my Commodores (only) and will be selling off the odd-balls...

A few things I'll be getting rid of (TI-99's, TRS-80's, etc.) are easy enough to fairly price, but I'm having a tough time pricing out some of the other stuff. Note, I'm not out to rip anyone off or "maximize profits" just get ride of some stuff that has been taking up space in the basement. On the other hand, I don't want to sell something to someone for $50 and find out they listed it on Ebay for $2,000... (or worse, tossed it in the trash because all they really wanted was a clackety-clak retro keyboard for their gaming machine).

Case in point:

I have a Xerox 820-II with the 16bit upgrade board and an external 8" FD + 8" HD. I also have all of the DOS / CPM disks to go with it, along with the manuals. I bought it from a Rutgers Engineer who supposedly got it from a Xerox engineer who said it was the test mule in their lab.

This guy is selling a *lesser* model on E-Bay for $1500, a price I would find preposterous, but....?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Xerox-...frcectupt=true

Does that mean mine is worth $2,000? or really $200? Anywhere I can get *fair* prices for oddball pieces like this? I also have an AT&T 3B2-310 + XM that has been difficult to price, any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by LesB3 View Post
    This guy is selling a *lesser* model on E-Bay for $1500, a price I would find preposterous, but....?
    But what? You might want to search these forums about eBay seller "vintagecomputermuseum".

Long story short he is known for asking preposterous prices, often for things that have been fiddled with badly.

You can ask for whatever amount you want, but it becomes a probability curve. The more one asks, the longer it will take to sell. You very well may get a buyer for some very high amount, but you may have to wait years to find that buyer. If one has years to wait and re-list, and expectations are set appropriately, there is nothing really too wrong with that. But it sounds like you don't have years.

Buyers who part stuff out is a different matter. There is not much you can really do about that. Probably the only thing you can do is get to know, screen, and interview potential buyers. Not something you can do on eBeh, but this forum is a good place to correspond with potential buyers.

Honestly, there's no pricing guide for stuff short of searching sold listings for what you have and to gauge it that way. The best way is really to just list it at auction and what it goes for is what people are willing to pay for it. That won't stop the gamers who buy stuff for sacrificing keyboards, they have more money than brains. I'd love to say that doing the first method and posting a fair price here will get you a decent price and someone who appreciates the equipment more, but I'm not sure that's the case. Theres a lot of folks that frequent here who are also resellers. Even the ones who don't typically resell are still likely to part things out, if you have stuff they want, they'll probably buy it, take what they need, and sell off the rest in hopes they can break even to justify to themselves or their spouses.

Personally i'd not worry about any of it. List the items on ebay with a reserve amount you'd be willing to settle for and move on with your life.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Xerox 820 stuff doesn't really command much. Here's an 820: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/122951093951?ul_noapp=true

And an 820-II that didn't get any bids: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/183798771182?ul_noapp=true

As a collector I'd take one if offered, but I don't think I'd be willing to spend much. I feel about them the way their contemporaries did: they're kinda bland.

Your best bet is just do an auction starting at $1.00 and see where it goes. If you put it out there for $2000, I can almost guarantee it'll never sell.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Your best bet is just do an auction starting at $1.00 and see where it goes.
    If you do that, just be ready to accept that it very well might sell with only one bid at $1.00.

I recently picked up an 820 and 820-II with keyboards and one set of 8" floppies between the two for around $250, off eBay. As stated, vintagecomputermuseum/vintagecomputerstore/whatever he calls himself now always asks silly prices. Sometimes he'll take a best offer, though I've found eBay usually still shows the BIN price as what it sold for on "completed listings." An 820-II with both 8" floppy *and* 8" hard disk is probably worth quite a bit more than just a stock 820 with floppies, but yeah, it's hard to price things like that out.

As to a machine's history, unless you've got paperwork showing that it was a Xerox test machine, most buyers seem to view a story as just a story.