Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple II - distorted speaker audio

Default Apple II - distorted speaker audio

I've attached a zip file containing a MP3 file of the speaker audio. This forum doesn't support audio files.

The problem I'm having is not just the audio when I turn the computer on, but also when I hit CTRL-RESET. On power-on, the speaker doesn't beep normally. The speaker instead has this squelch sound. I stripped the computer of everything, so right now it boots straight to Applesoft BASIC. Once in BASIC, I hit CTRL-RESET, and the speaker gives off the familiar beeps. But when I keep hitting CTRL-RESET, the beeping eventually is distorted.

The motherboard is a rev 4 version. Speaker is connected correctly, and I've tested the same speaker on my IIe, and all is good there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    I've attached a zip file containing a MP3 file of the speaker audio. This forum doesn't support audio files.

The problem I'm having is not just the audio when I turn the computer on, but also when I hit CTRL-RESET. On power-on, the speaker doesn't beep normally. The speaker instead has this squelch sound. I stripped the computer of everything, so right now it boots straight to Applesoft BASIC. Once in BASIC, I hit CTRL-RESET, and the speaker gives off the familiar beeps. But when I keep hitting CTRL-RESET, the beeping eventually is distorted.

The motherboard is a rev 4 version. Speaker is connected correctly, and I've tested the same speaker on my IIe, and all is good there.
    Possibly the capacitor in the speaker driver circuit?

-Mike W.