Image Map Image Map

Thread: What really happens when I try using aWindows XP or Windows Vista or later that does

Default Using 512e and 4k native drives on unpatched versions of Windows

What actually would happen if I try using a 512e or 4k native hard drive in Windows XP, or Windows Vista or later that does not have the Windows updates needed? Anybody have personal experience with this? I once used Windows 7 in the past just for storing offline files copied over with a USB flash drive. I did not see any problems with the personal files of mine after I moved them to the AF drive. I don't think I had the KB982018 on there.

More about 512e OS support here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ves-in-windows

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ibility-update
    Last edited by computerdude92; June 15th, 2019 at 01:56 AM.

When did the KB982018 first come out? I know it was sometime in 2011.. But did it come bundled with Windows 7 when SP1 was released on February 22, 2011?

BTW, the Windows 7 I used to store the files included SP1, but I don't think it had any updates. Just Win7 SP1 by itself.
    Last edited by computerdude92; June 15th, 2019 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

You can use the drive with unaligned sectors though there is a noticeable performance loss. A 4k write (expected for NTFS) will require writing to two different 4k sectors on the disk and rewriting the existing data on either side of the new data. Aligning the sectors would mean that every 4k NTFS cluster occupies one 4k disk sector. WD and Seagate used to offer tools to align the sectors for XP. Lose a bit of performance if doing a lot of short writes but it is manageable.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/wds-...tention?page=2 compares aligned with unaligned sectors

So, no chance for file corruption in my personal files if I store them on an unpatched system and install and play with the stored files? And also, are there no file integrity issues when I transfer my files from USB flash drives and back? Thank you.
    Last edited by computerdude92; June 15th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.

If you use a 512e drive on an unpatched older version of Windows it is just a performance hit. You run far more risk of losing files or having data corruption from viruses, malware and bugs in Windows, but that is a choice you seem to be intent on continuing to make.

Blog Entries

I can't guarantee that no hard drive will have a bug in the firmware that might cause data loss. Follow the usual procedures of verifying every write and keeping a backup and the probability is quite high that any potential problems will be caught prior to any data loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    If you use a 512e drive on an unpatched older version of Windows it is just a performance hit. You run far more risk of losing files or having data corruption from viruses, malware and bugs in Windows, but that is a choice you seem to be intent on continuing to make.
    ...offline...over a USB flash drive...