Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HxC Floppy Emulator - does it support file transfer?

Question HxC Floppy Emulator - does it support file transfer?

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

SD Card Direct Access mode : Direct Floppy to SD bridging.

So, I do not need a floppy emulator, but the possible ability to transfer files via SD card interests me. Microchannel systems do NOT have USB. Nor did they come with SD slots...

No desire to create up to 100 or so floppy images... Can I somehow transfer files [like 10MB in size] over this emulator?

Yes, the floppy interface is bog slow [500KB - 1Mbit]. Got it. But perhaps that will be outweighed with being able to quickly transfer files on an SD card...

Blog Entries

Reminds me of the old FlashPath floppies. That might work for you without the need to buy an emulator.

The primary barrier to such a thing would be the need for a driver for whatever OS you're running. Perhaps it would be within the realm of possibility to make the hxc emulate a floppy drive with a FlashPath inserted if you wanted to tackle it that way, but obviously it means programming either way.

(I believe the hxc already supports at least one alternate block mode in which it can emulate a floppy-connected "hard disk" of semi-arbitrary size using a driver on the Atari ST platform. It would be sort of neat if someone would port that to DOS.)

Blog Entries

The ideal thing for me would be to find a PS/2 NIC.

So, on your MCA system, what I/O do you have? Floppy and hard disk and video, for certain. How about serial and parallel?

I doubt it could transfer a file that was large than a floppy size that was supported by your machine. There are programs to split files in to chunks. You could then use multiple floppy images to transfer most any sized file. You could then reconnect them at the other end. ( I know I could create such a program with win32forth so I suspect most any programming language could be used. )
    Dwight
    ps, I'm not for hire.

Short of adding a network card, a Laplink serial or parallel connection to another machine might do what you need.

Blog Entries

Another possibility--a parallel port network adapter.

An amusing idea might be to modify FlashFloppy or another open-source floppy emulator to simulate one of those QIC tape drives that connected to the floppy controller. Obviously you'd still have to go through the awkward step of packaging the files you want to transfer into that format.

Honestly, though, if you were up for programming that I imagine with study you could probably brush up enough on DOS internals to write a program that bit-bangs the floppy controller in a way to communicate directly with the MCU on the emulator and set up direct file transfers. Those emulators already support a hidden API that can be accessed by the client machines to change boot menus and things, direct file transfer wouldn't really be a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Reminds me of the old FlashPath floppies. That might work for you without the need to buy an emulator.
    I did get a FlashPath. I even have the [still in blister pak] batteries. But they use Smart Media. Trying to get something CURRENT like SD so I can move stuff between Win7 and my DOS/WfW/NT4 systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The ideal thing for me would be to find a PS/2 NIC.

So, on your MCA system, what I/O do you have? Floppy and hard disk and video, for certain. How about serial and parallel?
    I find this amusing. But Win7 is positively retentive over file and printer sharing. This Win7 laptop has built in ethernet, wifi, and USB. No parallel, no serial. It does have an SD card reader, though.

My microchannel machines from the bleeding edge of 1992 have 2.88MB floppies [power and signal in same cable], 345K serial [good ol' RS-232], DMA parallel [dark mysteries involving DMA support], SCSI F/W [thank God].

So most of the system level stuff cables will go doink-doink if you try to plug them into the laptop.

I do have a goodly number of 10Mbit ethernet, and used to compute over a wired connection via a router to the internet. Of course, graphics heavy or HTTPS or lots of scripts will bog things down to a painful stop... But there is a tangle of power and network cables, and I don't feel like lighting up wireless routers again [they do work just fine]. Just a simple way to transfer 10-15MB of files where I do not have to burn a CD, make a pile of floppies, or invoke the assistance of dark forces of parallel dimensions...
    Last edited by ardent-blue; June 15th, 2019 at 06:29 PM.