Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are my DOS memory options for a 5170

Default What are my DOS memory options for a 5170

Hi Everyone,

I'm running MS-DOS 6.22 on it because I'm just so used to it. It has 640K + 8M with a rampage plus 286 board. When I run the memory utility it says "linear memory size 8192K" and "linear memory starting address 640K".

In config.sys I am loading himem.sys /testmemff

I tried a dos=high,umb, but I'm not sure that is doing anything.

mem /c/p shows nothing in upper memory.

Can the upper memory area be used for things without emm386.exe?

I would love to load smartdrv/dos in umb/high if possible. I also found a ativideo.sys that copies the ROM to RAM for better performance I'd like to load too if it doesn't take conventional memory...

Blog Entries

HIMEM.SYS should use the HMA to place about 64k of DOS into the 1024-1068 k region. Are you loading VDISK which uses a allocation method that can prevent HIMEM from getting any extended memory?

To load high, you will need to make some of the RAMPAGE memory into EMS. LOADHI and shadow RAM was possible with REMM.SYS and other EEMS and EMS 4 drivers but I don't remember the specifics.

Trying REMM.sys/REX.sys did not get me far. They seem to want me to reconfigure the board for expanded not extended memory. I'm not sure they will do any UMB stuff or not.

I found this thing called The Last Byte Memory Manager - does anyone know if it works on the 5170? (or how to use it...)

Blog Entries

You will need to split the allocation of the card. The AST card I had used a DOS program to reassign memory between extended and expanded in 512kB blocks. I would recommend placing 1 MB of EMS and the other 7 MB as extended. Good for Windows 3, most 286 extender programs, enough EMS for shadow RAM and load high plus a bit leftover to meet the needs of any programs using EMS for data. Though check the speed of the cache. If the cache is faster with EMS than extended, switch priority to EMS. Will be hard to use all 8 MB with any 286 system.

Last Byte looks to need Expanded Memory already setup on a 286 since a 286 can't convert extended memory into expanded on the fly. If the docs are correct, it should do Shadow RAM and load something high.

Note that loading high will adversely impact Windows 286 which used a similar technique to store Windows applications in unused address spaces that have EMS page frames. Also, note the restriction under EMS 4 that each page frame for loading high will be a multiple of 16k so you won't get the same flexibility as with a 386.

My only goal is to run DOS things on it, so I'd like to load some things including dos in the UMB area if I can figure out how to.

Putting DOS in the HMA is way simpler and should only require himem.sys.

Forget the UMB part.

Try this instead DOS=HIGH and see how that works.

I'm not sure you can use UMBs on that system without going through some changes.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Dos is loading high thankfully, but I wish I could use the UMB area to load drivers and such too. Do you think it is not possible with the memory board I have?

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    Dos is loading high thankfully, but I wish I could use the UMB area to load drivers and such too. Do you think it is not possible with the memory board I have?
    You can try USE!UMBS. There is a recent thread here regarding it.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...hipset-support

First your machine must have UMBs in order to use them. If not, it's just an exercise in futility.

The USE!UMBS ZIP contains the program, TEST!UMB.EXE, which will tell you if they exist on your machine.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Where to get use!umbs.zip ?

Blog Entries

Did you run memmaker first then try to customize?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."