Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are my DOS memory options for a 5170

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    Where to get use!umbs.zip ?
    USEUMBS22.ZIP
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Did you run memmaker first then try to customize?
    memmaker requires a 386 or better.

test!umb only shows video memory as available which I take as a bad sign.

I do think the rampage 286 board is setup for 8MB as extended memory starting at 640K. I'll have to go to the rampage manual and see what I can figure out there.

test!umb only shows video memory as available which I take as a bad sign.
    Not necessarily... the program allows for the use of some video memory as UMBs.

I do think the rampage 286 board is setup for 8MB as extended memory starting at 640K.
    Extended memory starts at 1024k, not 640k.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

What is odd is that the setup utility for the rampage shows "640" as the starting linear address. The POST did not see past 640 if I set it to 768 or 896. I can't remember if I tried 1024 as well. [it is working when set to 640K]

Is it possible that the rampage set to 640K means start at 1024K for the memory? Is it using the same "reference" as the AT itself when it counts memory? It ill go from 640 to 768 and so on up to 8832. I think the rampage allows its memory to also be in conventional, is if you configure it for say 512K, would it take 128K to fill out conventional and then start the next memory at 1M?

Is it possible that the rampage set to 640K means start at 1024K for the memory? Is it using the same "reference" as the AT itself when it counts memory? It ill go from 640 to 768 and so on up to 8832. I think the rampage allows its memory to also be in conventional, is if you configure it for say 512K, would it take 128K to fill out conventional and then start the next memory at 1M?
    I think to make it easier to setup, you are just telling it how much existing conventional and extended memory is in the system, and it adds itself above that amount, but it's not asking for the exact memory locations, just the amount. So while extended doesn't exist directly above 640K, that's what you tell it you have. It figures out what address to start at.

What's interesting is that expended memory paging typically exists in the HMA between 640 and 1024, but it looks like if you use the rampage to back-fill conventional memory, it can use ANY of that memory for paging as well. The manual even says that for better expanded memory performance that you should disable the second 256K of memory on the type 1 AT motherboard, so that you're back-filling even more.

I've got one a 128K memory expansion option in the system.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5170...ds.htm#128_meo

So 512K on MB, 128K on this memory expansion option, then the rampage 286 board adding 8M from 640K+ which I really think is linear 0x100000-0x8FFFFF.

Here is a completely crazy idea. What if I modded the 128K board to move it to the UMB area and then configured the rampage to start at 512K with its memory? Looking at the 128K schematic shows (page 7 of the pdf) a LS682 that is checking address lines. You can see it checking for 0x80000 essentially. To try and move it to 0xD0000-0xEFFFF assuming this area is open would give the 128K that the USE!UMBS driver is looking for. The problem is that the LA16 is not being fed into the LS682 so changing the Q pins on the LS682 could only move it to 0xA0000, 0xC0000, 0xE0000. I guess I'd have to figure a way out about that.

Trying REMM.sys/REX.sys did not get me far. They seem to want me to reconfigure the board for expanded not extended memory. I'm not sure they will do any UMB stuff or not.
    Per a previous comment, if you want the option to put RAM into the UMB area you need to reconfigure the board to make at least some of the RAM available for EMS. A quick search turns up discussions that claim that the Rampage 286 Plus is a fully featured EMS 4.0 board with multiple registers that's capable of mapping RAM essentially arbitrarily in the lower 1MB space, so, again, if this is true you'll be set if you give the board some RAM to work with. (If it has 8MB on it it'll be fine shaving off a meg or two to work with even if you do use 286 Protected Mode software like Windows 3.x in Standard Mode.) With all the RAM dedicated to Extended the board can't do anything for you but be Extended memory.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; June 17th, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

I think the best choice would be to remove the 128kB board to simplify operation, permit the Rampage to backfill up to 640, and convert part of the memory into expanded. You will still have 8.5 MB and it is hard to get a 286 using more than 4 MB even with Windows 3 or OS/2.

QRAM and Move'Em were products that did load high into EMS memory with an EMS 4.0 board. Here is an old MSKB article that explains how it works. https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/078/Q78198/