Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple II floppy drive problem...

Default Apple II floppy drive problem...

Hi, forum!

I wonder, I have a half height 5.25" floppy drive (Alps) and it is Apple II compatible. I've used it back in the day and now I've tried using it again and have problems with it. As it is approximately 35+ years ago I used it regularly I can't recall if I had problems or not but I think I had some issues at least in the end.

I've tried a couple of programs to verify disk speed but I'm not able to adjust it properly and I notice that sometimes (according to the disk speed tests) it jumps quite a bit either more or less speed and I don't mean the slight differences when adjusting a Shugart drive, I mean big jumps.

What is the most likely problem in such a situation, faulty motor, faulty electronics, faulty speed adjustment potentiometer etc.? As this isn't a Shugart drive it's not so easy just to swap a part or similar.

I'm I right in assuming that floppy drive mechanics shouldn't be lubed?

TIA!

I believe some lub vapor can affect disks, but bearings do have oil.

Have a look at the bearings, they are probably still available (just replaced all the spindle bearings in a Texas Peripheral drive).

They should have markings on them that allow identification, or measure the spindle and outer size and they should match standard (probably imperial) sizes.

I think white lithium was used on drive eject mechs, so that should be ok.

Thanks for the input! Will have a look at the bearing(s).

I'd suggest cleaning the head before doing anything more

Sorry, didnt mean the bearings are the most likely fault, just that if they are, they can often be replaced and can be lubed, but be careful what you use.

6. Default

I second the head clean, followed by a speed test again. Take it from there...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS - Telnet/ssh/www tlp.zapto.org