Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laplink cable with ms-dos interlnk/intersvr

I always found even parallel nybble mode with a LapLink cable to be *way* faster than null modem.

I personally used an actual yellow LapLink branded cable, when I used INTERLNK/INTERSVR at home before getting an Ethernet network set up. Worked fine, even with the XT and its original parallel port card. So, you must either have a hardware issue or a cabling issue.

Blog Entries

Yup, still have a bunch of the parallel ones. Of course, if you're talking to a "modern" computer, that parallel port may be a myth.

I figured out the issue .... I thought I'd share it here if others are having similar issues.

Although I was using the instructions outlined here : http://nullmodem.com/LapLink.htm that are very much correct and work fine with ms-dos 6.22 interlnk/intersvr I wasn't able to get it working.
    I found out that I was using the wrong pin number locations. I printed a diagram of the pin numbers of a DB25 connector but that seemed to be the computer connector side and not the cable connector side.
    So pin 13 was actually pin 1, pin 12 was pin 2 ..... Stupid mistake.

So always double or triple check the pin numbers, and look on the cable connector for pin number assignments, as they are typically written on the plastic near the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Serial laplink running at 115K isn't awfully much slower than the parallel variety--and it's often the most reliable. No fiddling with EPP, ECP, etc.
    That indeed seems to be the case
    It is faster, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "much faster transfer rates than the traditional null modem serial cable" as they do on the wikipedia article.

I got the following timings when copying all files from my Commodore PC20-II 20MB MFM hard drive

Parallel (ECP and bidirectional) : 25min
    Parallel (Normal) : 27min
    Serial (115200) : 31min

So about 20% faster using the bidirectional parallel mode when compared to the null-model serial cable.