Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loaded Altair 8800 discovered yesterday with tons of paperwork & punch tape programs

I tried a few mild cleaners... and a plastic scraper... this stuff is solid as a rock. Very disheartening. But thank you for the encouragement! Not sure what the plan is as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    I tried a few mild cleaners... and a plastic scraper... this stuff is solid as a rock. Very disheartening. But thank you for the encouragement! Not sure what the plan is as of yet.
    You need to soak them. It takes time. It took year to dry out it'll take some time. Soak them with water and dish soap.
    Dwight

I don't think it's a good idea to soak anything with circuitry in plain water. You could use deionized water to avoid charge-carrying minerals from building up on sensitive components. You'd still have to let it dry out extremely thoroughly, of course, but it'll also begin or accelerate the process of corrosion. Soaking in rubbing alcohol might be a better idea, but if there are any stickers (covering the UV port on EPROMs, for example), they'll likely dissolve even more quickly in that solvent than just water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JNZ View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea to soak anything with circuitry in plain water. You could use deionized water to avoid charge-carrying minerals from building up on sensitive components. You'd still have to let it dry out extremely thoroughly, of course, but it'll also begin or accelerate the process of corrosion. Soaking in rubbing alcohol might be a better idea, but if there are any stickers (covering the UV port on EPROMs, for example), they'll likely dissolve even more quickly in that solvent than just water.
    Circuit components are pretty hardy. If they have survived mouse poo I am sure they will survive washing in water. If the stickers have mouse poo on you probably want them to dissolve after taking photos...

https://www.electronicspoint.com/for...r-rinse.20092/
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

He has to try something to restore these boards. Rather than proposing this liquid or that, might we ask the unusual question "What's best for dissolving solidified mouse poo & wee?"

I'll wager it isn't alcohol.

Hot soapy water is the way to go, in my experience. No, you will not harm most electronics with it, that's how they get cleaned in industry. The only thing you have to watch for are items that have hollow spaces inside, like DIP switches or trimpots. Blow them out with air before/during drying.

I dry everything in a forced hot air drying cabinet which I believe was originally intended for some photo process, but a household oven works well too. Set it on the lowest setting and leave the door ajar. Of course, being as how this is mouse mess stuff, you'll want to probably put something on the oven rack *and* wash the oven out afterwards. You can also leave the boards out in the sun on a hot, dry day.

Dish soap is intended to loosen organics and it most likely the best for mouse poo. As glitch says, remove or be willing to replace pot and dip switches.
    Dwight