Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IBM 5153 Monitor EGA Modification

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    The only time EGA doesn't beat CGA is when you want to run actual CGA software. Any CGA code that bypasses the BIOS interface probably won't work as intended, since most of the EGA's CGA compatibility stops at that level. Certain EGA chipsets might have tried a little harder than IBM did, but I can't think of one that had 'perfect ' CGA emulation really.
    The Paradise EGA chipset has hardware emulation of CGA (and Plantronics, and Hercules) cards, selected using the PEGA utility.

2. Default

How feasible is it to have both a CGA and EGA card? They seem to use different memory address spaces and I know people have done dual monitor CGA/Hercules before. A video switch or simply two monitors would be needed of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
    How feasible is it to have both a CGA and EGA card? They seem to use different memory address spaces and I know people have done dual monitor CGA/Hercules before. A video switch or simply two monitors would be needed of course.
    I think you can have both only if the EGA Card is set for MONO. Otherwise they will not get along.

Not even that. An EGA card set to MONO is still an EGA card, it won't turn into an MDA.
    The MONO is used with monochrome monitors, to output grayscale on the green channel.

CGA and EGA in the same system does not work.

I've tried it with an ATI EGA Wonder in a system with motherboard CGA. It does work but you can only use the EGA for text mode 7 (mono text) and 0Fh (640x350 mono graphics).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    Not even that. An EGA card set to MONO is still an EGA card, it won't turn into an MDA.
    The MONO is used with monochrome monitors, to output grayscale on the green channel.

CGA and EGA in the same system does not work.
    Read the manual! It does work. But no color graphics mode on the ega card. This works even with the original IBM EGA card.