Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5153 Monitor EGA Modification

Default IBM 5153 Monitor EGA Modification

I recently acquired an IBM 5150 with 5153 monitor. I've been looking into an EGA upgrade and of course the highly desirable 5154, although this monitor is pretty much impossible to come by in the UK.

Then I stumbled across this - a fairly straightforward-looking mod to allow EGA on the 5153: http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/IN...OR_TO_AUTO.pdf

I have a lot of electronics and soldering experience as well as working with CRTs and I'm considering giving it a try. But just before I take the plunge I wanted to ask if anyone here had attempted it? Apologies if this has been discussed already but nothing came up in my searches for various combinations of "5153" and "EGA". Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hugo, the person who wrote the document, has not only tried it, but is a member of this forum. You could send him a PM if you have questions.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I would be completely interested in doing this mod as well if the pcb is easy to order/make and components are available.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyGeekBoy View Post
    I recently acquired an IBM 5150 with 5153 monitor. I've been looking into an EGA upgrade and of course the highly desirable 5154, although this monitor is pretty much impossible to come by in the UK.
    I did manage to get hold of a 5154 monitor in the UK. As usual with them, bad caps which I've not got around to replacing yet. TBH I think I'd rather have had a 5153, they seem to be a lot more reliable.

I don't know, I have replaced caps in my 5153 and 5154 PSU's, I also had to replace a cap on the mainboard in one of them because of vertical collapse but can't remember which one it was now, Reliability wise pretty much equal, I've had them for years. 5154's turn up on Ebah UK now and then but 5153's are more common, Seller's want lots of money for them these days.

Hopefully it's clear that this mod does not support full EGA color - as noted in the document, colors that fall outside the CGA range won't display correctly.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Yes, that is right, but mostly the 16 colours are enough for a good result. As you can see in the article it reproduced the Vega video-7 EGA test screen normally.

The main utility of it is that if your video card (if an EGA/CGA type..I use the Video7) flicks into EGA mode you can keep using the computer without being blindsided by a scrambled screen. The video 7 card for example, used in CGA mode has a 16 color 640 X 200 mode that you can't get out of a standard CGA card which is why I like it.

As mentioned in the article, I don't think the construction quality of a 5154 is as good as a 5153. The ventilation was poor, the PCB cooks up in the region of the video output amps and the vertical output stage, it shortens the life of the electrolytic caps there too.So I didn't warm to it. However, the 5154 was a revolutionary design concept and when working is great performer and its EGA images would be very hard to beat and much better than my mod to the 5153. I like the way the 5153 was physically built though.

The modification I did to get the 5153 to display a reduced size EGA image could be made up as a kit for the 5153, but I am not in a position to do that, However, there maybe somebody who would want to provide it to other forum members.

...ps: depending on the Video-7 card switches, some software can be blocked from flipping the card into EGA, for example, in BASIC, if you try to change to screen 9 (EGA screen) it will report an illegal function call if the card switches are set for CGA. But other software I have can still flip the Video 7 card to EGA, regardless of its switch settings.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; June 17th, 2019 at 03:59 PM.

Hugo do you have gerbers for this / BOM ? I recall asking someone about this a couple weeks ago so if I'm asking you again, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    Hugo do you have gerbers for this / BOM ? I recall asking someone about this a couple weeks ago so if I'm asking you again, my apologies.
    It's seems odd, but my projects with pcb's never have any Gerbers. I simply draw the PCB as a jpeg image in Microsoft Picture IT. Then my PCB maker has some sort of image capture program, that imports the image into Altium (PCB software I don't have) then he makes the PCB for me. Apparently many PCB makers can do this, and agree to make pcb's just from an image of the artwork.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots to think about. I do have a 486 with a VGA card that I use for EGA games and software so perhaps I'm best sticking with CGA on the 5150.

My PC and monitor are both US imports so I'm not against importing a 5154 from the US if one comes up at the right price. Will keep an eye out for one.