Image Map Image Map

Thread: IMS/LF-Technologies System Build

Default IMS/LF-Technologies System Build

IMG_1556.jpgIMG_1557.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1560.jpg

I've got a full array of IMS/LF Technologies boards that I would like to build into a system. There's only one problem, I don't have the operating system disk. I've researched and found that there were 2 versions of TurboDOS that IMS/LF-Tech distributed which are compatible with this board set. I'm wondering if anybody on this forum happens to have either of the following disks: TurboDOS 1.40a or 1.41c from IMS/LF-Technologies. Please let me know, Thank You!!

Nice board set -- I like IMS's boards, nice clean designs. I used one of the 451 Z80 boards like you have for geneb's S-100 machine build.

You may end up having to build new TurboDOS and/or CP/M disks for yourself. I didn't see anything relevant in a quick look-through of the Maslin archive. Probably a good idea to ask on the s100computers.com Google group, too, if you haven't yet.

Yes, it's the clean design that attracts me too, and the fact that they don't seem to deteriorate with age. Most of the TurboDOS systems were built around single board computers, these are earlier IMS Series-A boards that I'm working with, they were designed with discreet boards for CPU, I/O, Memory, which makes them more interesting to me.

Well, I got a disk for the system, and it's booting to a basic single-user operating system. The disk had a pre-configured OS on it, but no driver files (.REL files). I'm not able to re-configure the system to make it into the full fledged multi-user system I'm envisioning. This is a great start though, and a huge help. If anyone comes across IMS/LF Tech TurboDOS 1.40a - 1.41c, I'm still looking for it. Thank You!

Pictures are always good to have, I thought I'd add one. Currently it has 2 floppy controllers installed, one for 8" drives and another for 5.25" drives. Still awaiting installation is a second 64K RAM board for banked memory operation and a hard disk controller.
    IMG_1664.jpg

Thanks for the references, I've done a lot of reading and should clarify that TurboDos v1.40c or v1.41a from IMS L/F-Tech were the last 2 releases that supported the board set that I'm building up. After v1.41a, they switched over to an S-100+ bus architecture which moved a lot of the signals off of the S100 bus and onto an overhead ribbon cable that is daisy-chained between cards. The drivers for the older A-series boards were not included in the later releases from IMS/LF-Tech. It should be possible to take the drivers from the 1.41a release and GEN it into the core operating system modules of the final 1.43 release and end up with all the patches and enhancements, that's my final goal. Thanks! I've still got my radar set on finding the 1.41 disks.

just as a back pointer:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-41297.html

wonder if Jerry Mulchin (ICM-VP) is still around and if he might have any old releases

I had a few phone conversations with Jerry, his company ICM was one of the main competitors to IMS and made some very sophisticated boards based on DMA communication over the S-100 bus. He's very talented and sharp with electronics, it was several years ago after a move that he disposed of his old stuff though. He's got some great stories, ICM also had a very interesting PC-compatible system that ran TurboDOS, it was called the WS-286.

...I suppose you could say my searching has been rather intense. Thank you for the interest!