Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Not for sale in California"?

Here's a real kicker; I wanted to order some Kidde smoke alarm from Amazon.
    The Amazon market place vendor would not ship a twin-pack to California, but would ship single, tri-pack, and hex-pack.
    Same vendor, same Kidde part number. No twin-pack to California.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    catalytic converters for california and new york are different than the other states. The california ones have what is called oxygen storage. I'm not sure how that works but it is more expensive. I had to get one for a toyota a while back.
    Dwight
    I've heard it's exactly the same, just with different part number and price. Guess which one is more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    catalytic converters for california and new york are different than the other states. The california ones have what is called oxygen storage. I'm not sure how that works but it is more expensive. I had to get one for a toyota a while back.
    Dwight
    There are two types of catalytic converters, two-way and three-way.

The former only gets rid of carbon monoxide by oxidizing it to carbon dioxide and burning leftover hydrocarbon byproducts to carbon dioxide and water. The latter does those two steps, but additionally has some material which can store oxygen, such as Ceria-zirconia alloy. This is used to burn NOx emissions and convert it to regular nitrogen. The three-way catalytic converter is more expensive because it requires more complex management from the PCM to maintain the exhaust gas to oxygen ratio so the converter does its job properly.