Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Trick up Its Sleeve - MIDI with the Tandy PSSJ

Now I'm trying to remember if Chuck has ever introduced us to his synthesizers. Funny how many people in this community have an interest in electronic music.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Now I'm trying to remember if Chuck has ever introduced us to his synthesizers. Funny how many people in this community have an interest in electronic music.
    My interest isn't electronic music, but rather the traditional sort. You can't beat a full keyboard for input to transcription programs. I'd go nuts with a PC keyboard and a mouse for input only--I'd sooner go to ledger paper and a pen. It is nice to hear an electronic rendering to pick out issues and errors, but I don't for one second think of that as the finished product.

Ah, I see.
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

So, just to make this a bit more usable and meaningful, here are a number of MPU routines that I've converted for serial (COM1) use.

Electronic Arts
    - Budokan

Lucasarts
    - The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA)

- The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA)

- The Secret of Monkey Island 2, Day of the Tentacle, et al.

Miles Audio Interface Library
    - Dune II, Lands of Lore, The Legend of Kyrandia 1/2, various Interplay titles, et al.

Sierra On-Line
    - KQ4, LSL2, PQ2, QFG1, SQ3, et al.

- KQ5, LSL5, PQ3, QFGII, SQ4, et al.

- KQ6, LSL6, SQ6, QFG3, et al.

- Thexder 2 (SCI1 driver variant)

- Zeliard

The modifications are not Tandy specific. That is, whether you're using the connectivity method that is specific to the Tandy 1000 systems described in the original post, or any system, Tandy or otherwise, with a serially-connected (38400 bps) Yamaha tone generator, these modified files can be used. (Roland and Korg devices require slightly different file/driver modifications, which I can also produce, if there's any interest.)

In either case, the UART baud rate appropriate to the method and target device needs to be set beforehand. I've created two small programs that can be used to set the rate on the applicable Tandy systems.

I have two extra null-modem cable and miniMusic adapter pairings to give away. If any Tandy 1000 RL or RLX owner would like to have one, please send me a PM.

Blog Entries

Are these modifications a simple patch from MOV DX,330h to MOV DX,3F8h?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Are these modifications a simple patch from MOV DX,330h to MOV DX,3F8h?
    That, changing the status port, and adapting applicable DRR, DSR, and command acknowledgement routines.

Microprose did a pretty exceptional job with their Tandy (PSG) sound/music support, but here is a set of Roland MT-32 drivers adapted for serial playback nonetheless.

MicroProse
    - Covert Action

- F-15 Strike Eagle II
    • RSOUND.F15 (Rename as RSOUND.EXE; start game with /AR option.)

- F-19 Stealth Fighter
    • RSOUND.F19 (Rename as RSOUND.EXE; start game with /AR option.)

- Hyperspeed

- Knights of the Sky

- Lightspeed

- M1 Tank Platoon

- Railroad Tycoon

- Red Storm Rising
    • RSOUND.RSR (Rename as BSOUND.RSR; start game with /AB option.)

- Sword of the Samurai

Note: F-19's music playback is presently too fast when using the VGA/MCGA graphics option, until such time as I'm able to properly modify that corresponding refresh/playback routine otherwise.

Special thanks to Trixter and NewRisingSun for their technical assistance with these endeavors, the latter of whom also created and provided the UART Sierra SCI0 driver that has been modified and shared with permission.

I still have one extra null-modem/MIDI-adapter set, if anyone is interested.

I got mine in the mail late last week, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hopefully sometime soon I can get KQIV loaded up on my 1000RL...

As far as other systems supporting this. Pretty sure all Macs, the Apple IIgs (Zilog SCC based like the Mac), and the Amiga support MIDI directly on their serial ports with a similar adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Hopefully sometime soon I can get KQIV loaded up on my 1000RL...
    You probably already know this, but you'll need to pair the modified MT32.DRV with one of the 1.006 versions of King's Quest IV. That same driver is compatible with Silpheed as well, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    Pretty sure all Macs, the Apple IIgs (Zilog SCC based like the Mac), and the Amiga support MIDI directly on their serial ports with a similar adapter.
    NEC's PC-98 systems fall into this category as well. The challenge would be finding any other IBM/PC-compatible that provides soft-switching between standard and MIDI-compatible serial rates.