Image Map Image Map

Thread: For anyone that has the IBM PGC...

Default For anyone that has the IBM PGC...

Have you ever tried sticking an NEC V20 in it? Would it improve performance?

I did not but dont forget, 8088 in PGC is 8Mhz version. Also, how to benchmark IBM PGC card?
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155: IBM PC Expansion Unit 5161:
    WANTED! : IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM PC screws, IBM Type13/WD 25 Hard Drive front panel/mask
    My IBM PC hardware collection

NEC V20s were made at speeds up to 16Mhz. I have no idea how one would benchmark, other than seeing how fast it drew in CAD programs. I admit this question was asked on Reddit on /r/battlestations, and I thought it was an interesting question.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    Have you ever tried sticking an NEC V20 in it? Would it improve performance?
    Yes, but there could be side effects (incorrect rendering, locking up, etc.) if the software+hardware relies on the exact cycle throughput of an 8088.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The stock PGC is slow enough for you to see a frame being drawn, so there's absolutely room for improvement.

Looking over the schematics, The CPU clock is only running the CPU, with the graphics circuits being run by a separate dot-clock. It has accompanying waitstate logic to prevent colission between the CPU and pixel fetch circuit, so I guess the timing of the CPU is not really too crucial as long as it can wait fast enough. The real limiting factor if we're thinking overclocking as well (which should be very possible), is the speed of the memory.
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

I am the guy with the triple monitor XT setup that was on /r/retrobattlestations. I will source a V20, try it, and then report back. The PGC is pretty painfully slow sometimes, so if a V20 would improve that, I would love to have one in the system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-D70108H...AAAOSwx2dYD2MI I think that is the one I bought, but it has been awhile. According to Ebay, I bought -something- from them.

Blog Entries

where i can see pictures of that beauty ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    NEC V20s were made at speeds up to 16Mhz. I have no idea how one would benchmark, other than seeing how fast it drew in CAD programs. I admit this question was asked on Reddit on /r/battlestations, and I thought it was an interesting question.
    where i can see pictures of that beauty ?

This was surprisingly hard to photograph.

The cpu says NECV20 16Mhz, but I bought this from an overseas seller, as it turns out, (though both they and that seller in the link I posted previously used the same stock image), so who knows if it is a genuine part. Finding support chips that can handle more than 10 Mhz is difficult in any case, and the XI8088 itself (the board in the picture) will only do 13.33Mhz.
    Attached Images Attached Images