Image Map Image Map

Thread: 4 GameBoy DMG-01 systems and adventures

Default 4 GameBoy DMG-01 systems and adventures

I have purchased 4 GameBoy DMG-01 systems off of eBay, 1 of which is a PLAY IT LOUD edition that is fully functional and came with everything as advertised:

1) GameBoy DMG-01 PLAY IT LOUD edition in fantastic shape and some light scratches on the screen cover
    2) Game Link Cable (ordered 3 untested, as-is DMG-01s from eBay as well)
    3) Carrying case
    4) GameShark
    5) 2x Nuby Game Light Plus (magnifier that lights up), 1 had battery corrosion, but, I got it cleaned out (I wore gloves when removing the batteries)
    6) Games: Donkey Kong, Madden 96, NBA Jam, Monster Truck Wars, Tetris, and Race Drivin' along with all of the protective cases.

Picture of everything that it came with:

The other ones are 3 original DMG-01 systems that were sold as-is, not working. I have removed some corrosion off of the battery terminals on 1 unit and turned it on, and inserted the batteries in the other ones without cleaning the terminals (1 unit has corrosion on one set of terminals and the rest are nice and shiny). The good news is they turn on. The bad news is the 3 Original GameBoy DMG-01 systems have screen issues. The one has vertical line issues and I cannot seem to get my soldering iron to work with it correctly, even though I would get some lines that would reappear for a short while, the other one has horizontal line issues (7/8 of the display shows a picture and the other 1/8 is the missing horizontal lines), however, I have no idea if that's fixable or not and getting new displays for these systems are scarce at this time as there aren't NOS parts available, and the last one has both vertical and horizontal line issues on the left, right, and bottom of the display, which is less than the other 2 systems.

Video of the systems:

The PLAY IT LOUD edition is fully functional and all of the games, including the GameShark work without issues. I've yet to test the Game Light Plus units as 1 had battery leakage all over the place, but, some did come off easily, the rest is still there, however the other 1 has a missing door, but, the door from the other one will work fine.

Plans for all of the systems:
    1) Repairing the screens
    2) Replacing or retr0briting the shells, screen covers with glass over plastic, and battery terminals
    3) Modifying the screen with backlight and bivert, with a polarization film for better contrast

More to come in the future.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Well, the 3 non-working DMG-01 systems had bad screens (vertical, horizontal, or both). I attempted to fix them, but, the flex cable on the one that had the vertical line issues broke off, the horizontal screen one got melted by me accidentally, and the other one that had both got the vertical fixed, but, the horizontal one was still unsuccessful and the cable got broken. Time to look for new ones or the motherboard that has the screens on them and replace them.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Horizontal lines cant be fixed (or at least I've never been able to). Vertical ones however I can fix every time. I simply remove the rubber pad at the bottom of the screen as well as the adhesive, then with a well tinned soldering iron with a real pointy tip I go back and forth right in the crack where the cable meets the bottom of the screen.
    Looking for:
    A foot from a Tandy 1000/SX/TX
    Tandy 1000SX expansion bay support bar
    That little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy 1000 keyboard or EX that holds the function key labels in place