Image Map Image Map

Thread: Amstrad PCW8256 Not recognising disks

Default Amstrad PCW8256 Not recognising disks

Hello there,
    I have just purchased an Amstrad PCW8256 for 45. It turns on fine however, it makes a large whirring sound (is that normal?). When I insert a 3 inch disk into the drive it flashes black then goes back to screen for a few minutes and then the whirring stops. This is my first old PC and although I like it for display purposes I would really really like to get it to work.
    Thank you

Blog Entries

Check the 3" drive to see that the drive belt is intact. This is a very common failure and there are vendors of replacement belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Check the 3" drive to see that the drive belt is intact. This is a very common failure and there are vendors of replacement belts.
    Okay brilliant! How hard is it to check it would you say? Only I'm new to this and would want to poke around and break anything

Yes, the drive belt is a common problem, after so many years, but they are easy to source esp in the UK. It's a little bit of a fiddle getting the new one in, but it is possible. You can find instructions easily on the web, incl pics.

Esp note, older models of the drive use a pin for the write protect, and this pin can fall out while you've got the drive opened up. Try to avoid this, and don't lose the pin if it does come out so you can put it back. Depending on how goo-ey the old band has gone, you may need some cleaning.

http://www.fvempel.nl/belt.html is fairly thorough

My PCW is still working fine.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffB17; June 22nd, 2019 at 06:51 AM.

Take care removing the drive and keep your hands away from the back of the CRT. A long Pozidriv screwdriver really helps here.

Blog Entries

Here are the ones I buy in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad-P...8AAOSwva1a5GXp

Its very easy to replace just make sure you clean any off any of the black gunk that is left from the belts before fitting the new one.

What part of the UK are you in ? One of us can help if you are not too far away.