Image Map Image Map

Thread: Win31FileSystem Registry key to force 8.3 file name usage

Question Win31FileSystem Registry key to force 8.3 file name usage

I am wondering if anyone here has experience using the Win31FileSystem registry key:

Code:
    Win31FileSystem
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Data type      Range  Default value
    REG_DWORD 0|1      0 

Description
    Determines whether or not the FAT file system uses long file names and extended timestamps. 
    This entry is designed to make the files stored on FAT volumes use only those features of the FAT filesystem as used by Windows 3.1 and earlier. 
    Changing this value does not change any files, but it does change how FAT displays and manages the files.

Value Meaning
    0 Long file names and extended timestamps are used. Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS systems will be able to read the files, but will not be able to update the timestamp information or use the long file names (file names would be truncated to filena~1).
    1 Long file names and extended timestamps are not used. Only those features of the FAT file system which were available to Windows 3.1 and earlier will be used.
    Does anyone know if this can be applied to a SINGLE drive or is it a system wide option? i.e. Can I create a virtual 512MB disk, format it as a FAT drive, force it to function as an 8.3 drive (but only this virtual drive), and share it for use amongst DOS systems? TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

I think it is system wide for all FAT drives. At least, it seems to apply for all drives in the FastFAT driver.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    I think it is system wide for all FAT drives. At least, it seems to apply for all drives in the FastFAT driver.
    That was my reading of it too. I am wondering if this only applies to fixed drives that use FAT or any drive (e.g. ZIP or USB)? Or if there is a way to force 8.3 just on one drive.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!