Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagate ST-506 issues

Would love to get a 5150 running Visi On off of this drive. Only thing I am lacking is a bus mouse. Is there a trick to get a serial mouse to work? If so, I’d be set. I’d love to use my green-eyed mouse with it. I wonder if the bus version of the Microsoft green-eyed is supported?

It would only be a temporary set-up if I were to do it. Would make for a hell of a cool video! Would be even cooler with a revision A 5150, but I don’t have one of those yet. I’d use my July 1985-built 5150, as that’s the oldest IBM I currently own.

Edit: it appears a Mouse Systems aerial mouse it supported, so maybe I could make this work. Would still prefer my green-eye mouse though...

Should probably start a new thread on this...
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Amazing how reliable some of these old drives really are.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM1981 View Post
    Amazing how reliable some of these old drives really are.
    It’s really is unbelievable!

Don't ever turn the spindle backwards. I did that to once. The heads sit in the surface, unlike current drive that lift them off the disk when parked. The back edge of the heads will cut a nasty groove in the media. Always use a park routine to move them to the center of the disk. It is less sensitive to rotational forces there, like bumping the machine. The old ones all had mechanical brakes but that isn't always enough to keep them safe.
    I used a ST506 on my NC4000 computer. I used a XT controller with my own code. The hard drive controllers are a lot easier to use than the floppy disk. The floppy disk controllers want to be DMA with interrupts and my NC4000 has no interrupts. It still can be done using commands. I used a XT controller for the floppies as well. The XT hard drive controllers all had at least 1 sector of buffer, making things easier. When not busy, you fill the buffer and then issue the command for writes.
    I was so proud because I had a used 506 for less than $1 per megabyte. It was less than a year after that hard drives were cheaper per meg
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Don't ever turn the spindle backwards. I did that to once. The heads sit in the surface, unlike current drive that lift them off the disk when parked. The back edge of the heads will cut a nasty groove in the media. Always use a park routine to move them to the center of the disk. It is less sensitive to rotational forces there, like bumping the machine. The old ones all had mechanical brakes but that isn't always enough to keep them safe.
    I used a ST506 on my NC4000 computer. I used a XT controller with my own code. The hard drive controllers are a lot easier to use than the floppy disk. The floppy disk controllers want to be DMA with interrupts and my NC4000 has no interrupts. It still can be done using commands. I used a XT controller for the floppies as well. The XT hard drive controllers all had at least 1 sector of buffer, making things easier. When not busy, you fill the buffer and then issue the command for writes.
    I was so proud because I had a used 506 for less than $1 per megabyte. It was less than a year after that hard drives were cheaper per meg
    Dwight
    Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely be careful with this drive. I did park before I shut it off yesterday, so it should be somewhat safer.

Interesting story about your ST-506. Thanks for sharing!