Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Dead (completely non-functional) HardCard (20 or 40)

Default WTB: Dead (completely non-functional) HardCard (20 or 40)

I am designing a reproduction Hardcard based on XT-IDE and I need a vintage Hardcard to take measurements off of so that I can get it as faithful as is practically possible to the original. If anyone has a fully dead unit that they'd be willing to let go cheap, I'd happily purchase it.

If you posted this last week I would have had one for you! Just scrapped it because the drive wouldn't spin!

I have a hardcard 20 that I'm not willing to part with, but if you would like, I can make a fairly accurate CAD file of it. I'm moderately experienced with fusion 360.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    If you posted this last week I would have had one for you! Just scrapped it because the drive wouldn't spin!
    I scrapped one for the same reason years ago. The previous owner didn't park the head, or it was abruptly powered down and the head fused to the platter, like HARD fused. I'd imagine the unit had to be in storage for years for this to happen because I had to use a lot of force with a flat bladed screwdriver to pry up and get the head unstuck. It ripped two perfect rectangles out of the platter, but miraculously it started to spin and try and seek. Unfortunately though, the heads were trashed and nothing could be read from the disk.

I regret not saving it and the system (it was a Compaq Deskpro) but the system had so many issues and was so large that I didn't have the space, money or time to fix it back then.

Blog Entries

The older/smaller hardcards (20/40) have drives that seize up because the heads get stuck to the platters. The later/larger hardcards (55/120/xl) have EEPROMs on them that just fade over time until they're blank. Just about every single Plus hardcard I've ever come across is dead.

So yes, I should have a few -- PM me if you still need one. But I have to ask: What is the value in creating a full-length hardcard? One of the great appeals of the XT-IDE project is that you can fit it into computers that are tight on space. What market are you appealing to?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

So yes, I should have a few -- PM me if you still need one. But I have to ask: What is the value in creating a full-length hardcard? One of the great appeals of the XT-IDE project is that you can fit it into computers that are tight on space. What market are you appealing to?
    I'm trying to recreate my first computer which was an IBM 5150 with a green monochrome 5151 monitor, DOS 6.22, 640k or ram, hercules video hard, 2 360k floppy drives, and a hardcard. I've been able to find everything but the hardcard is a bit of a problem for obvious reasons. Even if I buy a working one it will be a ticking time bomb. At present I am using an XT-IDE with a DOM but I don't like it because it doesn't make hard drive noises which is a big part of the nostalgia for me. I don't want to sacrifice a full-height floppy drive for a hard drive and that means that I have to put a spinner in an expansion slot unless there's a speaker mod for the XT-IDE.

Blog Entries

Plus Hardcards didn't really make any noise (one of their selling points). In fact, they were so quiet, their BIOS let you enable/disable a little blinking "+" in the upper right corner to indicate disk activity. Are you sure you didn't have some generic hardcard that was an MFM controller and MFM drive?

If you want the "classic" IBM PC hard drive sound, get an MFM controller and sacrifice a drive slot for a Seagate ST-225. The noises that drive makes have been "background computer noise" in countless movies and TV shows.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I'm trying to avoid sacrificing a drive slot because that's not what my original computer had. As much as I'd love to have the "original" sound, I don't know a good way to get it at this point. Even if I get an original ST-225, aren't they running on borrowed time just like all of the other period hard drives? To me, even the sounds of a modern spinner are an improvement over the completely silent flash memory I'm currently using.

Blog Entries

All spinning-rust drives are on borrowed time.

Responded to your PM; I should have something. If you create CAD/etc. files, please make them publicly available somewhere.
    Offering a bounty for:

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    All spinning-rust drives are on borrowed time.
    Just like everything else electronic or mechanical. Nothing lasts forever.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step