Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB on Thinkpad 365XD

Default USB on Thinkpad 365XD

I was just given an old Thinkpad 365cd the other day in really good shape and I think I want to rebuild the battery pack and carry it around because it seems like a very versatile and useful machine. My one issue with it is that it doesn't have any usb ports. Is there a good way to get usb on it? I've seen a few pcmcia usb cards but I'm not sure they work with 95, and I think there is a dock I can get for it but I also don't know if that has usb or not

With Win98, most folks use the "mass storage drivers" for Win98FE/SE:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Win95, however has it's own set of issues:

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Blog Entries

The 365x sitting next to me is PCMCIA (16 bit) only. USB cards are Cardbus 32bit cards or newer with those metal balls on the end and will not fit nor work in a 365 series.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The 365x sitting next to me is PCMCIA (16 bit) only. USB cards are Cardbus 32bit cards or newer with those metal balls on the end and will not fit nor work in a 365 series.
    Crap, so I guess no usb for me. Is there some other type of removable storage adapter I can use? Maybe sd or cf cards?

They make PCMCIA to SD card adapters that appear to be 16 bit compatible. I think they emulate a standard ATA FLASH card so drivers *may* not be a problem.

Blog Entries

I just buy some PCMCIA Ethernet cards you can use to connect to another PC. I do have some wavelan PCMCIA wireless cards but nobody uses WEP anymore (if they are smart).

Do you need external storage on the go or just for home use to transfer files?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I just buy some PCMCIA Ethernet cards you can use to connect to another PC. I do have some wavelan PCMCIA wireless cards but nobody uses WEP anymore (if they are smart).

Do you need external storage on the go or just for home use to transfer files?
    I have an ethernet card that I've been using to transfer data but my computer room is in my basement where I don't get ethernet so external storage would be ideal to more easily transfer files at home and on the go

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I have an ethernet card that I've been using to transfer data but my computer room is in my basement where I don't get ethernet so external storage would be ideal to more easily transfer files at home and on the go
    How is it that you don't have ethernet in the computer room?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    How is it that you don't have ethernet in the computer room?
    I'm still in college and living with my parents and they don't think I need it, so I'm stuck with wifi only... We just have a router upstairs so it would be easier to have removable storage than have to go upstairs and plug into ethernet whenever I want to transfer files. Plus if I go with a cf card I can transfer files to my computers that have xt-ide's
    Last edited by RadRacer203; June 27th, 2019 at 05:35 AM.

A PCMCIA Wireless card should do just fine, shouldn't it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step