Image Map Image Map

Thread: Anybody know what this F8 board is?

Blog Entries

Default Anybody know what this F8 board is?

These pop into my Ebay feed once in a while. I tried googling part numbers, bitsavers etc but cannot find any mentions of it. I'm wondering if it's an F8 SBC or part of something else.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292744415371

It could be for a lot of different things. The F8 was popular for a number of different embedded applications. I don't see any RAM so I suspect it was a simple application as the F8 has a lot of internal registers ( around 60 as I recall ). I only see a place for a EPROM.
    Dwight

I think it's that same one getting listed over and over, not multiples Like Dwight said, probably just some embedded board. The F8 CPU I used in my Fairchild F8 Kit came from a scapped piece of avionics gear. I've seen them used in terminals as well.

Don't have to worry about it any more. Someone bought it.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Well.. there's six more. I guess my post spurred someone here.

Blog Entries

Yep, it was me, they accepted my offer. As noted, the seller has a few more. I'm seeing it as a good way to acquire a spare 3850 CPU and 3853 SMI for my F8 Evaluation Kit, and an F8 chip I never had - the 3861 PIO.
    Whether they still work or not is a gamble, however the price is waaaaay lower than other F8 sellers who have the single DIPs only, so I thought it was ok.
    One thing it does not have is the 3851 PSU which has some additional logic required by the 3850 such as the timer, and in the case of the Evaluation Kit, the FAIRBUG monitor. I'm not sure if these boards are terribly useable as they are for this reason (notwithstanding the other missing CMOS). But as spares go, seemed reasonable.

I believe the 3861 has counter. You'd need to wire out some RAM from the 3853. How big is the FairBug monitor?
    Dwight

Let me know if you have a dead FAIRBUG 3851, I have some spares. The static memory interfaces are indeed getting harder to find. I've got a few left, but that's probably something that someone will have to do a CPLD or FPGA replacement for, eventually.