Image Map Image Map

Thread: Scored a Dasher!

Blog Entries

Default Scored a Dasher!

Kind of excited about this one. I've seen too many of these being parted for their keyboards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dat...rdt=true&rt=nc

I'm surprised this didn't go for more - here's a couple of other auctions that went for nearly or more than twice that:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dat...orig_cvip=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dat...orig_cvip=true

Hopefully it survives the ride here...

Wow. The industrial design. It belongs in a museum.

Blog Entries

So are you collecting terminals or computers? Either one could consume every second of your time.

Blog Entries

I'm mainly into collecting microcomputers, and I have a few focused areas like SWTPC, Ohio Scientific, etc. where I'm trying to assemble fairly complete collections. Terminals I have generally cooled on - they take up a *lot* of space. However if it's something homebrew like this TVT I've been working on, or something with a unique look, like this D100/200, I'll go for it. The latter especially to keep it out of the hands of keyboard ghouls whom I know have parted these out just to get their hands on the blue keys.

Blog Entries

Good thing, I guess, that there were a lot of terminals manufactured.

I always had a soft spot for the Tandberg/Norsk Data ones. I haven't seen any of those on this side of the pond in a long time--they were very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Good thing, I guess, that there were a lot of terminals manufactured.

I always had a soft spot for the Tandberg/Norsk Data ones. I haven't seen any of those on this side of the pond in a long time--they were very expensive.
    I'm a little bit in the same boat. I don't often collect terminals, but the TDV2200-series terminals are really nice indeed.

I saved a ND320, which they tired to dump at the university not too long ago. This one has a graphics add-on module in addition to the standard text-only mode.

I have made ROM-dumps of everything inside, if you are interested in the font bitmap.
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Blog Entries

Thanks, but those have receded into the distant past in my mind.

I do recall using one that the ergonomics were superb, right down to the carefully-colored keys. In comparison, other terminals, with perhaps the exception of HP seemed to be pretty crude.

The Tandberg sales rep dropped off an evaluation version of the TDV2200 with a desk-mounted adjustable arm, so that the display could be placed exactly at eye level when one was sitting upright. I don't think that I've sever seen a similar setup since. The display background, I seem to recall, was not perfectly dark--there was a slight glow--I was told that it was intentional to ease eyestrain.

Tandberg also made some very nice 9 track tape drives that it was my privilege to evaluate.

???! I wouldn't have outbid you, but I'm angry at eBay: I was just searching for terminals the other night, and Dasher as a search word turned up nothing computer-related. The only terminals I could find at all were either missing the monitor or keyboard, severely yellowed, or outrageously priced.

The last time I saw one of these go for this price, I didn't have a penny to my name.