Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some opinions...

OK, so, what's the consensus?
    5 and two, 8 and three, both, to allow for the features of different commonly used monitors?
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

If you had to pick just one, I think 5 and five would be most widely useful, covering C64 (both old and new), Atari 8-bit (including XE/XL) and TI-99/4A, with each system using a slightly different set of plugs.

Note that on old C64's with the DIN-5 connector, while there is not a dedicated Chroma pin, you can still benefit from a 3-plug cable -- the dedicated Luma pin still provides an improved picture, even if you use the Composite output for the Chroma monitor input (it still works, with no obvious loss (that I ever noticed) of clarity or color rendition -- apparently it is easier to recover a good chroma signal from composite than it is to recover a good luma signal).

On the Atari XE line pin 5 is used for Chroma so there's some benefit to wiring that one up, even though on the C64 it's almost never used (there being very little software that takes advantage of the audio in feature).

For the DIN-8, again there is some benefit to wiring all 8 because Sega Master and Sega Genesis can use the extra pins for analog RGB. Using a DIN-5 with 5 plugs still works for these Sega consoles but using composite only.

The only thing i have to add is that depending on your pricing, these are pretty common cables to buy so might not be worth the effort. A quick search on eBay shows 5 pin c64 video cables for as low as $10 and 8 pin for around $20.

Oh, on the 8 pin cable situation, the sega and c64 are different wiring so i don't think that would apply. The only reason you'd wire up an 8 pin cable for the c64 (vs just using 5 pin) is for svideo. As well, pin 5 on the sega and on 8 on the c64 are power pins, so any mismatching of wires by the user could end poorly... these are definitely two completely different cables.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Yes, I noticed that too, regarding the Sega. I will have to be quite specific in the listings regarding which systems it would be safe to use them on.
    As for price, I'm pretty sure I could sell a quality cable for about half those prices (USD) and not have a ridiculously high shipping cost to make up for a low selling price. I really dislike that tactic.
    I'm selling stuff, not only through my site, but on eBay as well (Druid123) but, until they are well tested, none of this stuff is on either.
    I was wondering if someone could sketch out this 5-pin/5 RCA beastie (and the traditional colours of the plugs) if they have the time. It'll save me some time and I'd appreciate it.

Thank you...

Default Commodore stuff (an aside)

Setting aside the matter of the video cable, I wanted to show you people the things I've been doing in the Commodore world.

Here is the C64/64C/C128 power supply that we are having manufactured;

IMG_20190731_123958.jpgIMG_20190605_164417.jpg

Outputting 5VDC@3A and 9VAC@1.5A they run a C128 with no problems at all in our tests. It requires a short adapter cable with a female 7-pin DIN on one end a square 5-pin DIN on the other end.

6.jpg2.jpg

The two samples we have of the adapter are being used to test some D series C128s at the moment.

Here are the serial cables we had made;

002.jpg003.jpg

The samples of the TRS-80 Model I power supplies;

004.jpg005a.jpg

And last, but not least, our power supply for the A500/A600/A1200 series;

004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg005.jpg

Outputting 5VDC@5A, 12VDC@2.5A and -12@0.5A, it should handle, pretty much, any version of the A500, A600 and A1200 produced and any added upgrades. Testing will tell how hard we can push it as they are in transit to us as well.

In addition, we have a bunch of MOS 6526A and MOS 6581 chips on their way to us.

We have other things planned for the 64, the Amiga, the TRS80 Model I, such as cables, and then we will move on to the Atari line such as the XEGS, still in the box, complete down to the warranty cards I pulled off one of the skids the other day.

OK, thanks to MikeS, and his pin-outs, I've decided on a 5-pin DIN with 4 RCA plugs for my video cables.
    The 6526s and 6581 for arrived and I'm just going to extract some bad ones from one of the 64s, put in some sockets and then test them all with the 64/128 diagnostics and test harness.
    I can get more of both chips but, it seems that no one here is interested, so, I'll put them on my site and eBay.
    Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Last edited by Druid6900; August 16th, 2019 at 05:22 PM.