Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xerox 6060 restoration

Very good power supply conversion! I also thought already about this for a M380 and M280 PSU.

Default New Fan

Next step done: I have upgraded the fan from the original mains-powered one to a (120mm) 12V DC one.

I chose the Noctua NF-S12A FLX ( https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-s12a-flx ) as a good compromise between airflow and noise of operation. It does provide slightly less “air” than the original one as measured by the very unscientific method of me putting my hand behind it. However it is worth noting that the fan in the ATX power supply (also 12V DC) was a lot smaller than my new DC one, with barely perceptible air flow (or noise).

Removing the old fan is straightforward, you just need to unplug the mains spade connectors, unscrew the ground connection, and cut off the rubber standoffs that mount it to the chassis.

Mounting the new one is also relatively easy, but it’s worth noting a few things. The holes in the chassis where the rubber mounts go are 7mm in diameter. This means that the “stopper” of the (new) rubber mounts you use must be larger than that. The mounts that come with the Noctua are 9.5mm across (and a bit thin)... they would work, but I felt better by using slightly larger ones instead, like these ($4): https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Pieces.../dp/B00H9905KA
    These are double-ended so I cut off one of the two sides before inserting them (which takes some patience).

65379D3D-1146-4C5A-8CA3-A3DE9760ACD2.jpg

FC0CD22D-D906-4445-A894-1C77E7C3CD13.jpg

Anyway, the fan mounting holes align perfectly with the chassis and the DC power cable can easily be threaded through the slot in the chassis where the old fan mains power cable was (this also means the fan label needs to be upside down, but oh well...). The fan itself is thinner than the original one so the black grille cover goes back on without problems.

The fan comes with an adaptor to power it from any spare 4-pin molex connector (those used eg for floppy drives). It also comes with two inline “low noise adaptors”, which are just a 50ohm and a 150ohm resistors. I tested the fan with the 50ohm resistor on, which makes it very very quiet. After an hour or so of use I checked the temperature inside the power supply and both the heatsinks were cold to the touch while the coils were slightly warm, so I guess I am calling this a success.

Once I get round to laying the PCB for the power supply conversion I will add a fan connector to the PCB and will add selectable “noise reduction” resistors directly onto the PCB.

Incidentally I just realised that this modification makes my Xerox easily portable across world regions: I can select 110V or 230V operation at the flick of a single switch! In the original version voltage changeover needs a soldered jumper on the power supply PCB to be changed, and the fan itself is fixed voltage.

Default PCB design

I have laid out a simple 3" by 3" PCB with the following features:

- takes 20- or 24-pin ATX power supply connector as input
    - routes the GND, +5V, +12V, and -12V rails to appropriate connectors for attaching the original Xerox 6060 / Olivetti M24 / AT&T 6300 internal cables
    - boosts the 12V rail to 15V using a XL6009 IC (this can be disabled through a jumper if not needed)
    - has a 3-pin fan connector to power a 12VDC fan
    - has a jumper cluster to select four possible speeds for the fan
    - has a jumper for the ATX "power on" switch (if jumpered closed, the ATX power supply will turn on as soon as the mains switch is operated)
    - has three status LEDs (5V stand-by, main 5V, and boosted 15V)
    - has a 3.3V post for future expansion / in case you need this voltage for something else (low amperage only)

In my mind it is meant to be attached to the side of the original power supply enclosure, with the ATX cable attaching from the back and the Xerox cables attaching at the front. This way it will also receive some airflow from the fan.

Here is a render from KiCad (some components are not rendered, like the ATX connector itself)

atx_pcb.jpg

Attached is the schematic (very simple)

I will send it out for fabrication soon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Oh, now I'm VERY interested in this. This might help me resurrect 2 or 3 dead systems. Please keep us posted!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

What do you like looking at better, green or white text?9

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    What do you like looking at better, green or white text?9
    Definitely white! I grew up with the green version and I am very used to it, but the white one is just nicer. Can’t wait to see the amber version...

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Oh, now I'm VERY interested in this. This might help me resurrect 2 or 3 dead systems. Please keep us posted!
    The PCBs have been fabricated, and I expect they will be shipped tonight from China, so maybe I’ll have them in my hands by end of week (Thanksgiving permitting). However quite a few of the components are also on their (much slower) way from China, so it may be a while before I have everything I need to complete their assembly...

Who made an amber version for these? Or was that a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Who made an amber version for these? Or was that a joke?
    I’m fairly sure Olivetti made an amber version of the monitor for the M24, not sure about AT&T or Xerox. I am 100% sure Olivetti made an amber version for the M21 because I recently bought one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AT-...gAAOSw16hcwdjW

There's something disturbing and unnatural about an amber at&t monitor. How do you feel? I'm kind of dizzy.