Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for low-level x86 assembly language and/or C development work

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Were you at VCF West in 2016 or 2017? I met a gentlemen there who worked on PC DOS 7 and I'm wondering if it was you. (I was working at the show as part of the VCF staff. We were talking near the consignment area.)

Mike
    Mike,

Do you work at the Computer History Museum ?

No - I live up in Seattle. I'm just one of the poor slobs that runs VCFed.org. My resume includes 18 years at IBM; we had some overlap there, but I was working on the AS/400 at the time.

(I'll send you a private message to continue the conversation.)

Is UEFI development worth considering ? Does anyone here have any experience in that arena and have any thoughts on it ? I know that UEFI codebases are in C and I have looked at the specs. UEFI seems to be bloated and somewhat overkill (for example GPT allows for 128 partitions but nobody would ever have anywhere near that many).

I do this for a living. You need to look at the embedded side of things. There is a lot of work for ARM programmers, especially with RTOS, but also on 8 and 16 bit MCUs with bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
    I do this for a living. You need to look at the embedded side of things. There is a lot of work for ARM programmers, especially with RTOS, but also on 8 and 16 bit MCUs with bare metal.
    Interested to hear from someone currently in the industry - is it mostly large manufacturers these days, or are there a lot of smaller businesses on the design end of things? Does it tend to be localized to large industrial centers, or more spread-out or remote/contract work? There was a posting at some laser shop in my area last year I dropped in an application for, but I wasn't really expecting to hear anything back as I didn't have any good example code for current microcontrollers ready to go...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Interested to hear from someone currently in the industry - is it mostly large manufacturers these days, or are there a lot of smaller businesses on the design end of things? Does it tend to be localized to large industrial centers, or more spread-out or remote/contract work? There was a posting at some laser shop in my area last year I dropped in an application for, but I wasn't really expecting to hear anything back as I didn't have any good example code for current microcontrollers ready to go...
    It depends where you are I suppose. In the UK there are both large and small shops. Actually probably more smaller shops, most of the larger ones seem to be moving to embedded Linux systems because they suck too much to successfully develop large embedded applications as a team without a full OS and memory protection etc. to mask the bugs.

There is a lot of contract work as well as permanent. In the UK though permanent positions often have quite low pay, especially compared to the rest of the EU. Then they moan that there is a skills shortage... Well, yeah, there is going to be when you pay 40% less than EU companies.

Anyway, in this industry it's all about experience so if you want in then you should do some MCU projects and have code ready to show. I got my first gig using hobby code I had written.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
    Anyway, in this industry it's all about experience so if you want in then you should do some MCU projects and have code ready to show. I got my first gig using hobby code I had written.
    That's about what I figured. Which reminds me, I really should get back on some of my small projects...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I've studied UEFI a bit and wouldn't want to be caught dead working on it unless it was essential to my survival.

UEFI is huge and complex and getting increasingly more so. EFI wasn't too bad, but UEFI seems to me like the VW Bug that's been "enhanced" to the point of unrecognizability. Most troubling is Microsoft's Project mu; I can see a future where your PC will be useless without paying an annual subscription fee to Microsoft (or another vendor).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've studied UEFI a bit and wouldn't want to be caught dead working on it unless it was essential to my survival.

UEFI is huge and complex and getting increasingly more so. EFI wasn't too bad, but UEFI seems to me like the VW Bug that's been "enhanced" to the point of unrecognizability. Most troubling is Microsoft's Project mu; I can see a future where your PC will be useless without paying an annual subscription fee to Microsoft (or another vendor).
    I haven't heard much about UEFI development but what I did hear is all bad so I guess that's not a good avenue to pursue. BIOS was interesting until the core work was done and development became making the code work on a specific chipset and motherboard. Of course that's gone now and even UEFI CSM is slated to go away this year.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Interested to hear from someone currently in the industry - is it mostly large manufacturers these days, or are there a lot of smaller businesses on the design end of things?
    I'm kind of in the "industry" as well - work for a small manufacturer. I do electronics design, and write the software needed to run it. Mostly C-code for 8052 derivatives, and a bit of XMOS code...