Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Troubleshooting a PS/2 8590

  1. #1

    Default Troubleshooting a PS/2 8590

    So I picked up this machine (along with my sixth Model 95, a 25 286 and a Model 30) for free not too long ago and after a lot of cleaning I've started doing some actual work on them.

    Anyways, the issue is the system simply just does not POST. When powering it on both of the fans and the hard disk spin up, the screen flashes and the three lock lights on the keyboards flash, however nothing appears on screen, the diskette drive doesn't do a seek test and no beep codes are emitted. I've noticed that the light on the CD-ROM drive stays lit (it's an IBM CD-ROM II drive) and oddly enough, when you power the system down there is intermittent crackling from the speaker.

    I've already tried swapping around MCA cards as well as the processor complex and the SIMMs are all 8Mb parity (8x8Mb), so I'm not sure what else to check at this point. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm gathering you've seen this:

    http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/9590/9590_Planar.html

    I'd be suspicious of the RAM. Those machines were very picky....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    7,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    When I first got some IBM PS/2 systems in I also got a bag of IBM/Kingston (I think) 72 pin SIMMs and all had gold plated contacts. OEM RAM tends to not be high capacity like later commodity 72 pin SIMM for normal PCs.

    A quick google search shows this for 8MB sticks:

    8MB 2x36-60ns, 72p SIMM, 5v, FPM , so they are parity.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    468

    Default

    iirc, PS/2 systems also used the SIMM Presence Detect pins to identify the module type, and to make things worse different models used the same PD codes to mean different things. As a result, sometimes you need memory modules made for that specific computer because 'generic' modules won't work (they will be mis-recognized as having a different size or speed).

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    I'm gathering you've seen this:

    http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/9590/9590_Planar.html

    I'd be suspicious of the RAM. Those machines were very picky....
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    When I first got some IBM PS/2 systems in I also got a bag of IBM/Kingston (I think) 72 pin SIMMs and all had gold plated contacts. OEM RAM tends to not be high capacity like later commodity 72 pin SIMM for normal PCs.

    A quick google search shows this for 8MB sticks:

    8MB 2x36-60ns, 72p SIMM, 5v, FPM , so they are parity.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    iirc, PS/2 systems also used the SIMM Presence Detect pins to identify the module type, and to make things worse different models used the same PD codes to mean different things. As a result, sometimes you need memory modules made for that specific computer because 'generic' modules won't work (they will be mis-recognized as having a different size or speed).
    I did see this while I've been working on this system and I did double check the RAM. Every SIMM installed is IBM branded 8Mb, 70NS parity, P/N 71F7011.

    Out of curiosity, I swapped the complex out again and this time it POSTed, albeit with code 0002251B. Turns out there is an issue with this system's complex, which sucks as that means I have to choose between giving it to either this Model 90 or my 8595.

    Edit: A quick search of the error codes page on MCAMafia doesn't have a listing for the above code. Or any code that has "25" making up the first half of the last four digits. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ButINeededThatName; July 2nd, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    is there any corrosion to the the connectors? I had a similar issue a while back and a bit of deoxit and a few insertions fixed it. Its a huge connector.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    is there any corrosion to the the connectors? I had a similar issue a while back and a bit of deoxit and a few insertions fixed it. Its a huge connector.
    There isn't any corrosion to speak of. I did pop this system's complex into my 8595 and was met with the same symptom of no POST.

    So, I know the RAM is good, I know the complex is good, the hard disk and all of the expansion cards I'm using are good, the fans and hard disk spin up and it's able to throw out a POST code... Well, unless I'm missing something obscure, it sounds like I have a bad planar.

  8. #8

    Default

    If we were talking about other manufacturers, I'd look at caps at this point. Even solid tants can die. I've never had a reason to recap a main board, but on the other hand, the floppy drives routinely need them.

    I'd check psu voltages under load while I was poking around inside.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    2,176
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    I did see this while I've been working on this system and I did double check the RAM. Every SIMM installed is IBM branded 8Mb, 70NS parity, P/N 71F7011.

    Out of curiosity, I swapped the complex out again and this time it POSTed, albeit with code 0002251B. Turns out there is an issue with this system's complex, which sucks as that means I have to choose between giving it to either this Model 90 or my 8595.

    Edit: A quick search of the error codes page on MCAMafia doesn't have a listing for the above code. Or any code that has "25" making up the first half of the last four digits. Any ideas?
    These codes are not mentioned in my PC Server 500 hardware manual...

    ... any clues on the TAVI pages?

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/complex.html

    Dave
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    These codes are not mentioned in my PC Server 500 hardware manual...

    ... any clues on the TAVI pages?

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/complex.html

    Dave
    its a error: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/ca7a.htm
    000225XX | 1. System Board |
    | | |
    | (Check memory. It might be the | Memory |
    | wrong type or wrong speed) (*) | |
    | | Memory Riser Card |
    | | |
    | | (90) |
    | | |
    | | System Board |
    | | |
    | | Processor Board |
    | | |
    | | (90/95) |
    | | 2. Bus Adapter |

    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •