Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: IBM 5150 EtherLink II Issues

  1. #1

    Default IBM 5150 EtherLink II Issues

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to get my EtherLink II 8-bit ISA card up and running in my 5150 but running into some issues.

    I set the I/O base address jumper and added the 3c503 driver to my config.sys which seems to recognise the card OK with no errors on startup.

    Running the 3c503.exe diagnostic tool, it can run the hardware and networking tests on the card and they both pass OK. I didn't run the third (echo server) test.

    Trouble is I can't seem to do anything past this point - I tried installing Microsoft Network Client For DOS but it comes up with a nondescript error on startup at the "net start" step ("Error 1: An internal error occurred"). To be honest I'd rather not go down this route anyway as it runs a lot of stuff on startup that I'd rather avoid.

    I also tried using mTCP but if I try running the DHCP client for example I get an error about LSL not being found. Do I need to install Novell NetWare? Running some of the other commands, I get an error about not being able to connect to the packet driver (sorry for vagueness, I don't have the PC in front of my right now).

    I suppose what I'm trying to ask is if owners of this card could kindly share their configs - I'm just looking for a way of copying files to the machine (FTP is fine, I can set up a server) and maybe playing with some BBS's. Of course with the CPU and RAM constraints of the 5150 the more lightweight the better. I'm running PC DOS 2000 if that makes any difference.

    TIA.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyGeekBoy View Post
    I'm just looking for a way of copying files to the machine...
    Have you considered Laplink via parallel or serial ports for this operation?

    There's also the possibility of a parallel server-client network with the 5150 as the client.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    20

    Default

    The MS network client uses an NDIS driver, while MTCP makes use of a packet driver. Thet same driver can't be used for both. (Well,it can with a shim) Are you using a packet driver for MTCP?

  4. #4

    Default

    +1 to what Erik said - you should be using the 3C503 packet driver, which is a terminate-and-stay-resident program, not a device driver that loads via CONFIG.SYS.

    Also, when you say you tried the mTCP DHCP client and got an error message about LSL - what is LSL? If you didn't load a packet driver mTCP should have complained about not finding it at the specified software interrupt which comes from the mTCP configuration file.

    I have the 3C503 packet driver if you don't have it. Send me your email by Private Message if you can't Google around and find it.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    +1 to what Erik said - you should be using the 3C503 packet driver, which is a terminate-and-stay-resident program, not a device driver that loads via CONFIG.SYS.

    Also, when you say you tried the mTCP DHCP client and got an error message about LSL - what is LSL? If you didn't load a packet driver mTCP should have complained about not finding it at the specified software interrupt which comes from the mTCP configuration file.

    I have the 3C503 packet driver if you don't have it. Send me your email by Private Message if you can't Google around and find it.
    I was hoping you'd comment. Thanks for the help.

    Perhaps I'm misremembering and it was actually the 3c503 packet driver (3c503.com that I got from an archive called 3c503x.exe) that was throwing the LSL error. I Googled it and came across something called lsl.com which apparently is something to do with Novell NetWare, hence the comment about that.

    Will send a PM now with the email address, thanks once again for helping out with this.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik E. Rogers View Post
    The MS network client uses an NDIS driver, while MTCP makes use of a packet driver. Thet same driver can't be used for both. (Well,it can with a shim) Are you using a packet driver for MTCP?
    The MS client actually installed its own driver for the EtherLink, I only thought I'd give it a try as I previously got it up and running on another machine (a 486) without too much hassle. But longer term I'd rather not use it on this machine.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you considered Laplink via parallel or serial ports for this operation?

    There's also the possibility of a parallel server-client network with the 5150 as the client.
    Certainly a solution I've used in the past, but I have this card spare so would like to get it working if I can. Thanks for the suggestion, I may have to fall back on it if all else fails.

  8. #8

    Default

    OK, I'm back at the computer now. I removed the driver that was being loaded in the config.sys. When I run the following command:

    3c503.com 0x60 3 0x2e0
    I get:

    3C503-DOS-1: The LSL is not loaded.
    The if I run PKTTOOL from mTCP I get:

    No packet drivers found - did you load one?
    Just to confirm - PACKETINT in my mTCP config file is set to 0x60.

  9. #9

    Default

    SOLUTION

    Apologies for the multiple posts but I've missed the time window to edit / delete them now.

    I finally worked out where I was going wrong.

    It seems there's a collection of DOS packet drivers on a site called crynwr.com but it's currently down so I got my driver from elsewhere. Turns out it wasn't the packet driver at all and the error was a red herring.

    I got the correct driver from here: ftp://ftp.mosix.org/pub/msdos/kit/old/doskit.html

    Confusingly both files are called 3c503.com and both will happily run in DOS.

    Anyway, to cut a long story short, it's now all working properly.

    Thanks once again for the help and suggestions. Hopefully this thread will be useful for someone in future!

  10. #10

    Default

    To me the 3C503.COM file message indicates that it did not load, so there is no point in trying to do anything else. Is that file actually a packet driver, and does it need something else loaded in config.sys? It looks like LSL stands for "Link Service Layer" which smells like it is part of an ODI driver.

    Most packet drivers are self contained and do not need anything else. There are "shim" drivers that can use ODI drivers and make them look like packet drivers, but that's a different conversation. My version of that packet driver doesn't require anything else. I'll send it to you when I get home.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •