Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM XT build almost finished!

Default IBM XT build almost finished!

This IBM XT is coming together really nicely! This machine started out as an empty case, and I was going to build a 286 out of it, but the 286 motherboard I had didn't fit! So what I decided to do is obtain a real IBM XT motherboard, and build a real XT out of it.

The board I got is a 64-256KB mode, but I performed the 640KB hack on it, which worked out great. I also swapped out the AMD 8088 for an NEC V20.

Here's some pics of the beast:

IMG_4840.jpg IMG_4841.jpg IMG_4848.jpg IMG_4854.jpg

This thing truly is a Frankenstein; It has the case and 5.25" floppy drive of a late-model XT, the motherboard of an early XT, a 3.5" floppy drive from a Hewlett Packard and a Seagate ST-412 from a DEC! I do plan on swapping the 3.5" drive out eventually for a proper black one.

It's an awesome machine, and I had a blast putting it all together! Now I've got two XTs along with my three 5150s!

Of course, here's some shots of Windows 1.01 running:

IMG_4849.jpg IMG_4851.jpg

Anyone else just love playing with early versions of Windows?

Also, I found a Microsoft "gray-eyed" mouse on eBay for an irresistible price! This was Microsoft's second mouse, released in 1985 (the same year Windows was!). It is the 25-pin serial version, which is nice, because for the first time ever I won't have to use a 25-pin to 9-pin adapter for my mouse! This will be the primary mouse I use with my IBMs from now on. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll post pics when it does!

I need a green-eyed mouse too! They actually aren't worth anywhere near as much a I thought. Love old mice, especially the Microsoft ones.

That's all for now!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Lovely machine, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
    Lovely machine, congratulations!
    Thank you!

Cool build! What is the checkit benchmark for that combo with the v20?

Thanks! Here's the CheckIt benchmark:

thumbnail_IMG_4859.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Thanks! Here's the CheckIt benchmark:

thumbnail_IMG_4859.jpg
    You should adjust your contrast on monitor. There are two shades of green intensity on this cards/monitors.

IMG_3210.jpg

Also 5,25" full height Tandon floppy drive would fit better there
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155: IBM PC Expansion Unit 5161:
    WANTED! : IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM PC screws, IBM Type13/WD 25 Hard Drive front panel/mask
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    You should adjust your contrast on monitor. There are two shades of green intensity on this cards/monitors.

IMG_3210.jpg

Also 5,25" full height Tandon floppy drive would fit better there
    I thought something looked a little off there! Didn’t even think to adjust that. Thanks for telling me!

I’ve thought about putting a Tandon in there, but finding one for a decent price is hard. I’m not paying 50+ dollars for one floppy drive. Not one as common as a TM100-2A for sure. Having the 3.5” drive is also pretty convenient though.

But, if I find a cheap Tandon, I’ll grab it!

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    ...I’ve thought about putting a Tandon in there, but finding one for a decent price is hard. I’m not paying 50+ dollars for one floppy drive. Not one as common as a TM100-2A for sure. Having the 3.5” drive is also pretty convenient though.
    I've seen non-working Tandon TM100-2A drive's sell for silly money, I much prefer having a 3.5" and a HH 5.25" 360k in my XT, I find it far more convenient as i have the choice of using 360k - 720k or 1.44Mb, It was a common upgrade back in the day.

Do you have a special controller in yours? Because the stock controllers can’t do 1.44MB.

But yes, having a 3.5” drive is very handy.

I have a generic 16-bit IDE/Floppy controller in one of my XT's and use the XTIDE Universal Bios with a HD floppy bios appended to the XUB, which allows me to use CF connected to the 16-bit IDE and 1.44Mb floppy disks,