Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IBM XT build almost finished!

Yeah, the PS/2 line was IBM's attempt to wrest back control of the market after everybody copied them. Didn't work too well, probably due to the same reason as the PC-Jr: ridiculous price tag, and proprietary components.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

2. Default

I definitely prefer mechanical drives to solid state when possible. The sound is all part of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
    I definitely prefer mechanical drives to solid state when possible. The sound is all part of the experience.
    Absolutely!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

When it comes to sound, I went with a slightly more modern (early 2000s) IDE drive on my 486, partially because it's what I had, and partially because it at least still has the hummmmmmmm. You can't really hear it seeking over the fans, though.

And yeah, the PS/2 was very much a "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" thing until IBM saw the writing on the wall in the early 1990s. Pretty much all of the ones I've ever seen were either thrift-shop finds (like my model 30-286, which I miss quite a bit; I got around the whole "no Molex" thing by using vampire-splice connectors from the auto parts store), or school donations (that themselves got written off when the schools started buying Dells).

I wouldn't mind getting a PS/2... IF I can find one at a fair price. Like the TRS-80, it's got a nice aesthetic, but they also tend to be pricey, like around the $400-500 CDN mark on eBay.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting a PS/2... IF I can find one at a fair price. Like the TRS-80, it's got a nice aesthetic, but they also tend to be pricey, like around the $400-500 CDN mark on eBay.
    If you can get past not having sound (on an MCA PS/2), they are amazing. The lack of sound doesn't bother me. The PC speaker sound on Wolfenstein 3-D is good enough for me. But, if you are the type that likes to pay 4-digits for a sound card, then real sound is possible! I personally wouldn't be caught dead paying that much for a sound card.

Just be patient. I'm sure a reasonably-priced one will show up at some point. I got my Model 80 for about $66 plus around $50 shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    If you can get past not having sound (on an MCA PS/2), they are amazing. The lack of sound doesn't bother me. The PC speaker sound on Wolfenstein 3-D is good enough for me. But, if you are the type that likes to pay 4-digits for a sound card, then real sound is possible! I personally wouldn't be caught dead paying that much for a sound card.

Just be patient. I'm sure a reasonably-priced one will show up at some point. I got my Model 80 for about $66 plus around $50 shipping.
    Apparently they did actually make sound cards for it. But as you say, they were quite rare, and expensive. A parallel port OPL3 dangley thingie might be a good half-way point.

Non sound MCA cards are somewhat reasonably priced though. It seems that some people also made dual mode cards that could be used on either ISA or MCA buses. eBay link

Finally got a green-eyed mouse to go along with it!

IMG_5586.jpgIMG_5589.jpgIMG_5585.jpg

This thing is totally awesome. Very heavy for a mouse too! It has the classic bare metal ball, so you can really hear the rollers in it when you move it.

The one I got is the 25-pin serial version, so it's just plug and play on any machine with a serial port.

I would totally use a mouse like this on a modern machine if I had the proper adapter for it.

And just to add, the XT is still doing well. The Miniscribe 10MB drive is still going strong too!

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Finally got a green-eyed mouse to go along with it!

IMG_5586.jpgIMG_5589.jpgIMG_5585.jpg

This thing is totally awesome. Very heavy for a mouse too! It has the classic bare metal ball, so you can really hear the rollers in it when you move it.

The one I got is the 25-pin serial version, so it's just plug and play on any machine with a serial port.

I would totally use a mouse like this on a modern machine if I had the proper adapter for it.

And just to add, the XT is still doing well. The Miniscribe 10MB drive is still going strong too!
    That mouse it beyond cool! Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM1981 View Post
    That mouse it beyond cool! Nice find.
    Thank you! It is definitely a cool piece.