Image Map Image Map

Thread: Interesting NCR EGA/HD/FD Controller Card

Default Interesting NCR EGA/HD/FD Controller Card

ncrmultifunctionisa2.jpg

I just picked up this interesting-looking multifunction ISA card made by NCR, looks like it was released around 1986/87. It provides a WDC hard drive controller, Zilog floppy controller, Paradise EGA graphics (courtesy of a daughterboard), serial and parallel ports all on one card! This looks like it would have been pretty high end back in its day.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5
    Image 6
    Image 7

I didn't consider until after I bought it that it's 16-bit ISA. I'm hoping that at least the FDC and graphics will work in an 8-bit slot.

Does anyone else have one of these cards? I can't seem to find any info or a model number (looks like it could be 017-0012261?). It would be good to at least have a diagram of what all the jumpers and DIP switches do.

That’s an interesting card! Hopefully you aren’t trying to use it in a real IBM PC or XT, because that looks like one of the taller ISA cards, and those don’t fit.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Doh! The plan was to put it into my 5150 but I hadn't spotted that... Oh well, it looks like something useful to keep in stock for a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyGeekBoy View Post
    Doh! The plan was to put it into my 5150 but I hadn't spotted that... Oh well, it looks like something useful to keep in stock for a future project.
    You can save it for a 5170
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    You can save it for a 5170
    The wife will be pleased

Thats interesting. I recently got a very similar one which is labeled "NCR C 88", also with a PVGA (!) daugtherboard but in a very bad condition. A cap exploded after turning on and I didnt have time to fix it so far.
    We still need to figure out the pinout of the connector on the daugtherboard.

I assume it should be possible to use that daughterboard on other cards which have this ISA-bus extension.

IMG_9733x.jpg