Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM RS/6000 "Corvette" SCSI Controller work w/ PS/2?

Default IBM RS/6000 "Corvette" SCSI Controller work w/ PS/2?

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could take a SCSI-2 F/W Adapter from a RS/6000 and use it in an IBM PS/2.

I use one in my model 95. (the short one)
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew if you could take a SCSI-2 F/W Adapter from a RS/6000 and use it in an IBM PS/2.
    I don't know. Is th RS/6000 version the same as the PS/2 version or is there a special RS/6000 "Bios". In fact can you but an MCA card with on-board firmware in an RS/6000?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

give it a shot. As long as you don't force it into a slot, whats the worst that can happen? Might need to supply a proper ADF, and it possibly might not boot from that card, but I can't see where it will fry your system. (again as long as it fits properly)
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    Yes! The Corvette and the Enhanced Corvette does work in PS/2 systems! Well, at least the Model 85 / 95. I would be careful about using it in the other systems though as you may end up frying something if you aren't careful.

The Corvette has two SE SCSI busses, internal and external.
    The [Enhanced] Turbo Corvette has a SE internal bus and a Differential external SCSI bus. You want the Enhanced DFW with the SMALL thin 80C186XL-20, the big 80C186 doesn't seem to play well...

The 70/80 BIOS are incompatible with the later version of SC.EXE used by the Corvette, so you cannot even install it...

90 / 95 T1 and T2 require the enhanced complex BIOS, Type 3 is fine, or BIOS 05 or higher on a Type 4.