Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to IPL an IBM 5360 System/36 after sitting in a barn for 20 years

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Should he have been standing? Lying down? Certainly not dangling from the rafters???

Shame about the bigger stuff that got chopped up. Really curious about the guy you bought it from though...Did he express any thoughts about how he imagined using this as a 'normal pc', or how long it took him to realize that wasn't going to work? I mean he had to know these things were old...did he just not realize they were 40 years old?

Guess it's for the best either way, who knows if he would have saved it otherwise.

He brought it home when the machine was about 10 years old or so (my guess, he didn't tell me that precisely) and back then I guess "a computer was a computer". Didn't take long to realize it was not going to work because his barn's electricity wiring wasn't capable of providing enough power to it.

Anyhow, Been smacking my head on it for the past few days. I've noticed that the CSP card is filled with RAM chips, and I'm pretty positive that one of them is bad, the one at address 7A7A. As usual they have a custom IBM part number (8493689) and the only thing I can find online is that it is a "64K ram module". I will try and desolder one to see if it matches something common like a 4164.

I'm curious Ferrix97, if you're still around if you are the person selling the 5360 parts off in Italy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-System-...E/202946074899

Hi!
    Thanks for the tip!, that listing flew under my radar!
    Sadly it's been a long time since I last diagnosed it. I socketed the RAM chips and swapped them with regular 4164s but the problem still persists... I know that there are at least 5-8 other 5360s in private hands but I never tried asking if I could borrow their card set for further diagnosis. There are also three different version of 5360 (IBM called them "Stage 1", "Stage 2" and "Stage 3") and the collectors I know have the wrong one.

I'm not the guy selling the parts, but on the other hand I'm looking for a Stage 3 CSP card and the one in the third picture should be it! I'll keep an eye on it, it's way too expensive now.
    Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrix97 View Post
    Hi!
    Thanks for the tip!, that listing flew under my radar!
    Sadly it's been a long time since I last diagnosed it. I socketed the RAM chips and swapped them with regular 4164s but the problem still persists... I know that there are at least 5-8 other 5360s in private hands but I never tried asking if I could borrow their card set for further diagnosis. There are also three different version of 5360 (IBM called them "Stage 1", "Stage 2" and "Stage 3") and the collectors I know have the wrong one.

I'm not the guy selling the parts, but on the other hand I'm looking for a Stage 3 CSP card and the one in the third picture should be it! I'll keep an eye on it, it's way too expensive now.
    Thanks again!
    Someone has been loading System/36 & System/34 stuff to bitsavers over the last few days. perhaps some help in there?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrix97 View Post
    Well, I was loading the disk in the wrong way... doh!
    Now the head seeks, the load light goes off and the CSP light remains on. But after a few seconds the display shows 7A7A followed by db02 and the processor error light. I checked the MAP on Bitsavers and that error points to a bad CSP card. There's a more in-depth MAP on another volume, but sadly that's not available online.
    I will try to make another DIAG21 floppy just in case.
    I am uploading some more service info for the 5360 today
    Do you have any original floppies or paper documentation ?

Quick correction to my previous post, I have a Stage 2 machine and not a Stage 3. The card set for sale is for the latter and I don't think it's compatible with mine.

Sadly I just have the machine, I don't have any documentation but I do have a few disks. Two were inside the machine with IBM labels but they were both unreadable (or very corrupted iirc), It also came with a box of disks but they seemed to only contain generic user data.

On the other hand, I have two different sets of disks for the 5362 SSP and I think multiple copies for the 5340 OS and Diagnostics. I'd be more than happy to share them, I just need to find where they are...