Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS/2 2.0 Installation Issues

Default OS/2 2.0 Installation Issues

So I've been attempting to install OS/2 2.0 onto my Model 90 for the past couple of hours and keep hitting the same roadblock; A formatting error whenever I try and format the hard disk (Fujitsu M2694ESA on the latest revision cached SCSI adapter) using HPFS and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've manually used FDISK through the installation diskettes a couple of times to partition the drive and set it to "installable", but the end result is the same formatting error. Every. Time. Anyways, I'm hoping one of you have any pointers for me. I'll leave some literal screenshots of the error screen down below.

XJVzQLg.jpg

JrLttOY.jpg

fhHb97Z.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    So I've been attempting to install OS/2 2.0 onto my Model 90 for the past couple of hours and keep hitting the same roadblock; A formatting error whenever I try and format the hard disk (Fujitsu M2694ESA on the latest revision cached SCSI adapter) using HPFS and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've manually used FDISK through the installation diskettes a couple of times to partition the drive and set it to "installable", but the end result is the same formatting error. Every. Time. Anyways, I'm hoping one of you have any pointers for me. I'll leave some literal screenshots of the error screen down below.

XJVzQLg.jpg

JrLttOY.jpg

fhHb97Z.jpg
    My PC Server 500 has a FAT boot partition. Have you tried FAT?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

I should know this. But I will ask the obvious questions.

Which version of 2.0 is being installed? Pre-release had major problems with the Model 90; LA and GA should work. Which specific Model 95 submodel is it?

Try the install to a FAT partition. If that succeeds, then install the fixpack for 2.0 and see if an HPFS partition can be formatted. If that fails, I would suggest just jumping to Warp and saving the aggravation. 2.0 was not a good release.

Blog Entries

Oh and why such an old OS/2? Would Warp 3 or 4 would be better
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

There was a 2.1 also, if you want to "authentic". (Else why even own an PS/2?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There was a 2.1 also, if you want to "authentic". (Else why even own an PS/2?)
    Yes, the OS/2 V2.1 was the first real useable Version for me but even for it there are a lot of fixpaks I believe.

I use my SCSI hard disks mostly with an Adaptec 1542CF (ISA) or 2940 (PCI).
    During booting you can jump into the AHA Bios with STR+A and use the disk utility to verify the hard disk without deleting any content of it.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    I should know this. But I will ask the obvious questions.

Which version of 2.0 is being installed? Pre-release had major problems with the Model 90; LA and GA should work. Which specific Model 95 submodel is it?

Try the install to a FAT partition. If that succeeds, then install the fixpack for 2.0 and see if an HPFS partition can be formatted. If that fails, I would suggest just jumping to Warp and saving the aggravation. 2.0 was not a good release.
    Currently I'm just trying to install 2.0, as it's all I could find. As for machine type, it's an 8590 with an "M" complex.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I want to use 2 as it's closer to what these machines would have ran when new.

Blog Entries

I may have an extra (legitimate) copy of OS/2 2.1. Are you installing from floppy or CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I may have an extra (legitimate) copy of OS/2 2.1. Are you installing from floppy or CD?
    From floppy currently, as my IBM caddy CD-ROM drives don't seem to like any R or RW discs I burn myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    4 will be far too slow. v3 was faster than v2.x. Though v2.x is more "period correct". IBM 3.5" floppy disks that shipped with OS/2 were never of that high a quality either. Better going the CD route.

OP have you tried formatting the drive in Dos? If so what was the result? Looking at the log looks like it doesn't like the primary partition to be over 15meg which is odd.
    What size is the hard drive? Drives smaller than about 400megs don't really benefit from HPFS anyway if memory serves me right.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; July 7th, 2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."