Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tektronix 4052 help....

You stated that you do not have a tapedrive : this however is needed to boot into Basic !
    At least my 4052 did not boot without it...

You might need to "fake" the presence of the the tapedrive.

Correction : I see that you have one on loan. Nevertheless make sure that it is indeed wired up in the system.

Also : still plenty of diagnostic ROM PCB's available for those who need them !

Jos
    Last edited by jdreesen; August 20th, 2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by jdreesen View Post
    You stated that you do not have a tapedrive : this however is needed to boot into Basic !
    At least my 4052 did not boot without it...
    Jos
    I did see the that a tape drive is required for the 4052 to boot. The same is true for the 4051. I borrowed the drive (and the entire DVST assembly) from my working 4051. I tried to see if I could emulate a connected tape drive. The POST on the 4051 & 5052 must test more than than just static signal levels because I tried tying the input lines low & high but couldn't get my 4051 to boot without the tape board connected. The tape board didn't need any other connectors connected except the main ribbon cable and the the pin that connects the tape loaded switch grounded. If I can't find a tape drive I will have to build a small circuit to fool the 4052.

I finally got my subscription to the DataIOEPROM group approved also. I have the original UNIPAK (not the 2 or 2B) and the device list indicated the WSI 57C49... needs V11 on the original UNIPAK. I was disappointed that the V11 firmware files were not included in the files section. The V11 firmware folder only had the device lists. I posted a question to the group to inquire about the availability of the V11 images.
    I have two package types for the WSI 57C49B. The standard DIP and the narrow DIP. I also made an adapter for the narrow to wide DIP (photo).20190825_213213.jpg If I can get these to work it will look much better than adding an adapter board with with a 2764.

Sounds like great progress!

If you can’t find the unipak update -I should be able to program them with my 2B

Quote Originally Posted by oldcomputerexpert View Post
    .....My 29B base unit is a V01.....
    I would look at upgrading to v06, The files should be in the files section of the Data I/O group, You will need 7 2732 eproms, BUT first what is the part number of the motherboard, Remove the programming pack and look inside the 29b base unit, At the bottom edge of the board hopefully there will be a part number, If there is no part number there it will probably be under the RAM board but you will need to strip the base unit down to see it.

If the part number is 701-0047-001 there were several reworks needed, If it is 701-0047-002 or higher you should be good to upgrade to v06

Quote Originally Posted by oldcomputerexpert View Post
    ... I have the original UNIPAK (not the 2 or 2B) and the device list indicated the WSI 57C49... needs V11 on the original UNIPAK. I was disappointed that the V11 firmware files were not included in the files section. The V11 firmware folder only had the device lists..
    The Unipaks went through numerous revisions, The original unipak had very small eproms, IIRC there never was much for the original unipak in the file section.

6. Default

Progress!! I had found that several of my firmware ROM's were bad so I set out to replace them with the latest image available for the 4052 (version 5.1). The only known EPROM with the same pinout as the MK36000 ROM is the MC68764, however with a 400ns access time it is much slower than the MK36000. I didn't want to use an adapter board for the 27C64 or re-wire the board, so I found another EPROM with a close enough pinout, and fast enough (55ns and faster). The WS57C49b has address lines A10, A11, and A12 exchanged. I found that my Data I/O Unipak needed a firmware upgrade before it would program the WS57C49b, so I spent the last few weeks working on that. I completed burning a set of 5.1 firmware for the 4052 tonight and to my surprise the 4052 booted! I still need to reinstall and test the 2nd bank of RAM that I removed, and test the DVST and keyboard that I swapped from my 4051. The DVST will probably need some work. I also need to work out an emulator for the tape drive because the 4052 is missing one (I'm using the one from the 4051 because the 4052 won't boot is it doesn't see it connected).
    On the WS57C49b instead of doing a bunch of block moves to adjust compensate for the rotated address lines, I first burned the images directly into a WS57C49b (narrow package) and then plugged it into the adapter I made (see photo). I had bought several of the narrow package EPROM's thinking I would make adapters, but then I found the normal size chips and wanted to use them without an adapter. I installed the burned narrow package chip into the adapter and then read the image, then burned that image into the normal size chip. I had to burn twice for each chip, but it saved a bunch of block moves. 20190919_222106[1].jpg20190919_230634[1].jpg