Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tektronix 4052 help....

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    when building rom adapter boards, you want to consider using flip pins to keep from destroying your original IC sockets
    http://oshchip.org/products/Flip-Pins_Product
    Al, thanks for the link - those are cool pins.

I thought of a couple of alternatives to a four 2764 EPROM adapter board:

1 - blue wire the mainboard to change the bussed connections to the ROM sockets to rewire them to be 2764 compatible - no adapters needed
    2 - build an adapter to plug one 27256 EPROM into the 28-pin Patch ROM 82S107 socket to replace all four ROMs in an even or odd bank. This adapter would have the 27256 mounted towards the mainboard to reduce the component height. The adapter would strap the signal disabling all four ROMs in a bank.

Here is a picture of the 4052/4054 MAS board with the BASIC ROMs.

Looks like two different 82S107 adapter boards would be needed. The 27256 EPROM could mount over the U835/U870 socket closest to the patch ROM socket - or over the bus resistors between the two 28-pin 82S107 sockets.

Yes, I had looked at using U845 & U863 patch ROM sockets with a 27256 adapter. One problem may be that the ROM addressing is not contiguous. The ROM pair at U810 & U893 sit at the top of the RAM address space from E000-FEFF as the "Data ROM". the other six ROM's cover the ROM space from 4000-FFFF. Would probably have to tap the /CE lines from each of the ROM sockets if you didn't want to make modifications to the main board.

I have a temporary 2764 adapter almost put together. Later tonight I hope to see if it works well enough to get past the boot code and into the diagnostic rompack.
    Clay

Any progress on debugging your 4052?

I thought the Diagnostic ROM Pack would run first - whether you have good ROMs or not (page 5 of the Diagnostic ROM manual second paragraph): "this option runs a sequence of diagnostic tests and starts BASIC upon successful completion of the tests".

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    Any progress on debugging your 4052?

I thought the Diagnostic ROM Pack would run first - whether you have good ROMs or not (page 5 of the Diagnostic ROM manual second paragraph): "this option runs a sequence of diagnostic tests and starts BASIC upon successful completion of the tests".
    Yes, the microcode sequencer performs a self-test (page 6-10 General theory of operation) and then "addresses the switch bank of ROM space". And then checks and executes the Diagnostic ROMpack it it's installed, otherwise executes "the firmware used to prepare... to execute BASIC..". My 4052 doesn't stop at any of the breakpoints listed on page 6-10 so it should execute the Diagnostic ROMpack if the documentation is correct.
    I would think that before the processor could execute the Diagnostic ROMpack it would have to initialize the PIA's for video, keyboard, and bank select switching for the ROMpacks. Unless this happens during the microcode test? I would think it would need to execute an initialization routine if the firmware before executing a ROMpack or basic. In any case my 4052 seems to be pulling instructions from the firmware. Perhaps there are other issues keeping it from seeing the diagnostic ROMpack.
    I did verify that I do have several bad firmware ROM's. I have been working on resolving that. I found two EPROM's that have a compatible pinout and speed: WSI's WS-57C49B and 27HC641. Both are 24 pin high speed 64K EPROM's and the only difference in pinout with the MCM68764 is that address pins for A10, A11, and A12 are out of sequence. That could be easily resolved by moving the data around before burning the image. I have several of the 57C49's but unfortunately my Data I/O 29b needs a firmware upgrade before it will burn this particular chip. The 57C49B is different burning timing and voltages that I can't just fake out the 28b into thinking it's another chip. I haven't been able to find one of those cheap USB burners that has that chip listed as compatible. I did find a MagicPro III (made be WSI, the same as the 57C49b manufacturer) I bought for cheap, thinking it had a parallel port interface. However it needs an interface board (PC ISA slot). If the board is just a parallel port and power supply for the MagicPRO III which has its own controller built-in, that may be something I could tack together. I believe I also found the software to work with the MacicPro, but without the interface board (or the firmware upgrade for my 29b) I will have to look for other solutions.
    I did burn a 27C64 and made an adapter socket to make it look like a 68764 and swap out one of the bad ROM's. It change the program loop and I see it reading instructions (but not correct ones) but still didn't execute the diagnostic ROMpack or anything else. Perhaps I do have another issue I will need to resolve first.

I have a Data I/O 29B with v13 firmware. The WS-57C49B shows the same family pinout code as the WS-57C49. Do you think I would have to upgrade my 29B to V17 or better as shown in a 1985 Unipak 2B doc?

I have just subscribed to the dataioeprom yahoo group to get access to the upgrade files. Then if you send me the EPROMs I could program them for you.

The datasheet on the WS57C49 lists the Unipack 2 or 2B version 9 or later as a compatible programmer. I have a plain Unipack (not 2B but I think is the same as a Unipack 2) I think is version 9 (if I show version with a Select EF it shows: 4BA0 09). The documentation for the Unipack shows that I need software version 11 for the 57C49. My 29B base unit is a V01. I can select the chip (Device 3C-67 and read the 57C49, but if I try to burn the chip it fails with an "Illegal-Bit Error 21" which indicates the chip is not blank. It reads as all 1's, but I erased it with UV for 15 minutes and tried again with the same results. If I try to burn just 1 byte (in this case burning "FF" to a blank EPROM that's already "FF" I get "non-blank error 20". If I program 1 byte with a zero I get the error 21. Really odd.

I have been trying to subscribe to the DataIOPROM group for about two weeks now. I keep getting the " Your subscription has not yet been approved" banner so I can't see the files section yet. If I can upgrade my Unipack (and possibly my 29b) I'll try to burn it again. If it doesn't work (or I can't upgrade) I would like to send you the chips and hopefully you will have better luck.

Just had a look at the device list's i have for the unipaks, For the unipak2 or 2B, v12 firmware or higher is required, The original unipak device list does not list those chips.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcomputerexpert View Post
    The datasheet on the WS57C49 lists the Unipack 2 or 2B version 9 or later as a compatible programmer. I have a plain Unipack (not 2B but I think is the same as a Unipack 2) I think is version 9 (if I show version with a Select EF it shows: 4BA0 09). The documentation for the Unipack shows that I need software version 11 for the 57C49. My 29B base unit is a V01. I can select the chip (Device 3C-67 and read the 57C49, but if I try to burn the chip it fails with an "Illegal-Bit Error 21" which indicates the chip is not blank. It reads as all 1's, but I erased it with UV for 15 minutes and tried again with the same results. If I try to burn just 1 byte (in this case burning "FF" to a blank EPROM that's already "FF" I get "non-blank error 20". If I program 1 byte with a zero I get the error 21. Really odd.

I have been trying to subscribe to the DataIOPROM group for about two weeks now. I keep getting the " Your subscription has not yet been approved" banner so I can't see the files section yet. If I can upgrade my Unipack (and possibly my 29b) I'll try to burn it again. If it doesn't work (or I can't upgrade) I would like to send you the chips and hopefully you will have better luck.
    I've got the same issue with the yahoo group.

However I found some Unipak 2B upgrade files:

ftp://ttl.arcadetech.org/TTL/Test_Eq...OM%20Upgrades/

The Unipak 2B folder on this site has the update rar files for V14, V20 and V27 - EPROMs and PAL/GALs

I also see a Unipak 2 folder with update files.

The Unipak folder does not have update files.

since I don't see the Unipak 2B V17 update files - I will update my Unipak 2B to V20 - if you want me to try to burn your WS EPROMs, since the Family/Pinout doc I've seen indicates V17 is needed for the WS-57C49B EPROM.

I think I found the yahoo group post that gives background on the Unipak 2B updates - I guess I have the newer memory board - since my current version is V13. So after reading this post I need to find the big EPROMs and PAL to update my Unipak 2B to the last version 27. I have a LogicPak that should be able to program the PAL.

https://groups.io/g/DataioEPROM/topi...0,2,0,28480067
    Last edited by nikola-wan; August 18th, 2019 at 07:25 PM.

I just got access to the yahoo group dataioEPROM.

The files included the family/pinout codes for the latest V27 for the Unipak 2B

Here is the WSI device list for the 57C49:
    Code:
    WSI 57C49              PROM    DIP   03C/067                  V12           C
    WSI 57C49B             PROM    PLCC  03C/09A 351B093          V18           A
    WSI 57C49BD            PROM    DIP   03C/067                  V17           A
    WSI 57C49BT            PROM    DIP   03C/067                  V19           A
    WSI 57C49C             RPROM   DIP   12D/067                  V18           A
    It indicates the 57C49B is a PLCC package - I would need a PLCC adapter.
    Or do you have the 57C49BD or BT DIP package?