Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring Multiple PS/2 Model 95s | Part III: Three Out of Six Ain't Bad Edition

Quick update on the 9585s:

So after some probing with a multi-meter I have found that the power supply for the non-rodent infested 85 (which is a K/N 85 by the way!) is in fact faulty. Guess it's time to crack it open and see just what went wrong with it and if it's repairable.

As for the rodent-infested 85, it's a K/N model as well and looking over it again I highly doubt the planar, let alone the PSU, is salvageable. The chassis / case is a definitive maybe, however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    I was thinking something more along the lines of OS/2 2.1 with NetWare 4.1
    I've actually found that Warp 3 Connect runs very nicely.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Cool setup. Yeah Warp v3 would be a nice fit with those specs and it's a bit faster. Found this page with manual link for Model 95s http://www.ibmfiles.com/pages/ps2model95.htm
    Last edited by Caluser2000; July 9th, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Seeing as how I'm waiting on parts to finish my 95A and the non-infested 85, I decided to at least start stripping down the rodent infested one and examining the damage. All I can really say right now is that this is just disheartening.

IMG_20190710_184217.jpg

IMG_20190710_184034.jpg

IMG_20190710_184200.jpg

At least I was wrong about the system board. It's probably going to be the only salvageable piece electronics wise, so at least I'll have a spare one for my other 85 (they're both 9585-0NGs by the by). Hopefully the diskette drive is salvageable as well and that the corrosion is just on the shell, but I'm not too sure about that. Other than that, I hope to be able to save the chassis, as pretty much every other part can be sourced to build a new system.

Anyone have any tips for removing rodent grime and corrosion from the chassis?

Blog Entries

I'd use water blaster with soap/hot wash. Dishwasher for the smaller items.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    Quick update on the 9585s:

So after some probing with a multi-meter I have found that the power supply for the non-rodent infested 85 (which is a K/N 85 by the way!) is in fact faulty.
    Alien probing?

Was the PSU plugged into the planar, or did you drop it and then test?

If there is a problem with crud in a SIMM socket or mca slot, or with IC pins, you might never get power good.

Might want to unscrew the ground strap at the front, then pull the psu foreward and off the pivot pins. Turn the psu upside down and listen for bits. Open the psu, visually inspect for little spikey bits. Clean up as needed, then plug psu in, short the correct planar power plug pins and power it up, then check the 4 pin drive power taps for voltage.

Fan runs, bad voltages, oww. Fan runs, good volts, yay! Fan does not run, good volts, probably bad fan.

DASD support structure is plastic, should clean right up.

Metal drive structure is sorta phosphated, if you use evapo-rust, it will take it down to shiney metal. Might clean off the rust a bit, then use a chemical to convert the remaining rust to inert coating.

Damn foam is shot, wish I knew of a good replacement.

Blog Entries

There are places that sell foam rubber in various types and sizes. Shouldn't be too hard to make up something suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by ardent-blue View Post
    Alien probing?

Was the PSU plugged into the planar, or did you drop it and then test?

If there is a problem with crud in a SIMM socket or mca slot, or with IC pins, you might never get power good.

Might want to unscrew the ground strap at the front, then pull the psu foreward and off the pivot pins. Turn the psu upside down and listen for bits. Open the psu, visually inspect for little spikey bits. Clean up as needed, then plug psu in, short the correct planar power plug pins and power it up, then check the 4 pin drive power taps for voltage.

Fan runs, bad voltages, oww. Fan runs, good volts, yay! Fan does not run, good volts, probably bad fan.
    All of the SIMM sockets and MCA slots were clean. I removed the supply, powered it on (fan runs) and probed the main supply pins as well as the drive connectors. There was effectively no power to the 5v (0.0 something) and the 12v was "jumping" around from around ~2v to ~6v.

Quote Originally Posted by ardent-blue View Post
    DASD support structure is plastic, should clean right up.

Metal drive structure is sorta phosphated, if you use evapo-rust, it will take it down to shiney metal. Might clean off the rust a bit, then use a chemical to convert the remaining rust to inert coating.

Damn foam is shot, wish I knew of a good replacement.
    Thanks for the tip! I did spray everything down with bleach and hosed it off with hot water, so at least the grime is gone and it should be safe to touch with bare hands now

Is there such a thing as good foam in these systems? It all seems to deteriorate into "black goo".