Image Map Image Map

Thread: MaxTech nx16-BT NIC using mTCP on an XT machine

Default MaxTech nx16-BT NIC using mTCP on an XT machine

I've got an MaxTech nx16-BT networking card (ISA 16bit, UK0022 chip, NE2000 compatible) that Iím trying to set it up in msdos (packet driver + mtcp) on my XT machine in an 8 bit isa slot.

According to the documentation I found this should work in an 8-bit ISA slot : https://manualzz.com/doc/971185/maxt...6-user-s-guide

The nic + rj45 cable + internet connection + mtcp + packetdriver works fine on my pentium (albeit in a 16 bit isa slot).

The XT machine only has an xt-ide card in it and boots from a compact flash card.
    I removed the floppy controller (that also contains serial ports, an RTC .....) to free up as many IRQs as I could.

The MaxTech nx16-BT comes with a DOS setup utility allowing you to configure and test the card.

I'm using IO 0x320, IRQ 4, NE2000 mode. (the card is also set to RJ45 mode and not BNC) (as the xt-ide is using 0x300)
    The test runs fine (io / irq tests, internal + external loopback).
    The test also includes sending packages (but not receiving) and seems to pass as well.

So everything checks out fine on the XT. The only thing I cannot do on the XT is persist the configuration values. The setup utility hangs.
    So to change the settings I put the NIC in my pentium, change and persist the config there, and put it back in the XT.

But when I execute the dhcp executable to get an IP I get a timeout (I see some interaction on my switch at the time of DHCP request).
    PKTTOOL.EXE reports dropped packages.

The fact that the dos test program ran fine, the packet driver seems to find the NIC and the documentation states it should work in an 8-bit slot gave me some confidence that this should work.

Any ideas what I could do further to debug this ?

NIC Config:
    2019-07-09 06.00.26.jpg

NIC test utility:
    2019-07-08 22.12.10.jpg

Packet Driver output:
    2019-07-08 22.12.48.jpg

PKTTOOL dropped frames:
    2019-07-09 05.58.08.jpg

I downgraded the NE2000 packet driver from 11.4.3 to 03.5.3 and after that it could get an IP from the DHCP server and seems to work now !

2019-07-09 19.28.40.jpg
    2019-07-09 19.27.42.jpg

Hope this helps someone else trying to get networking to work in an XT machine.
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

I have a no name network card with the same chip (UK0022). Somebody on this forum modified the latest crynwr ne2k packet driver to work on 8-bit slots.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...or-8-bit-slots

Currently I'm not using that card on my Turbo XT clone. I replaced it with a Realtek RTL8019AS. The Realtek has two advantages:
    * The configuration program works fine in the XT so I don't need to put in on an AT-like computer to make changes.
    * Realtek drivers autodetect the card and work fine on XTs (at least packet and ODI ones) so I don't need to use "generic" NE-2000 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    I downgraded the NE2000 packet driver from 11.4.3 to 03.5.3 and after that it could get an IP from the DHCP server and seems to work now !

2019-07-09 19.28.40.jpg
    2019-07-09 19.27.42.jpg

Hope this helps someone else trying to get networking to work in an XT machine.
    Hi - mTCP author here.

Can you email me both versions of the packet driver?

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Michael , Emailed you all the info. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and even more so for creating mTCP !
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel